Campus diversity framework near completion despite concern over lacking student voice

Despite concerns over lack of student involvement, framework rolled out to campus
Herald archives

The university is in the final stages of introducing its new diversity framework to the campus community, but some student leaders worry there may not be sufficient avenues for student input in the implementation process.

University of Wisconsin’s new 10-year framework for diversity is in its final stages after over two years of work on drafting, planning and reviewing. The framework comes in lieu of the previous 10-year diversity framework, which was implemented from 1998 to 2008.

Carl Hampton, an assistant in the office of the chief diversity officer, said the new diversity framework is more of a broadly-based plan that addresses issues, such as access to undergraduate learning, recruitment and retention of minority students and increased representation in science, technology, engineering and math education.

The previous diversity framework dealt with more specific initiatives in areas such as increasing minority enrollment, he said.

According to the university’s website, administrators are now introducing the framework’s recommendations in a series of follow-up presentations to students and community members. After these sessions, UW will then begin work on priority recommendations.

However, Hampton said the university still might have to make changes depending on the results of the finalized state budget.

“We’re very satisfied to roll it out and have it signed before the end of the semester, so people can see our progress,” Hampton said.

While looking forward to the development of the diversity framework, Genevieve Carter, chair of Associated Students of Madison, is concerned once the plan begins, university administrators leading the process will not be receptive enough to student input.

“I think it’s important that students have an avenue for input,” Carter said. “I also think that in terms of student input involving shared governance committees, not only the formulation of the goals, but the actual implementation of the goals is really crucial.”

However, Hampton said there have been extensive opportunities for student involvement, and student input has been included into the formulation of the plan throughout the process.

In the past, the administrators overseeing and implementing the diversity framework plan worked with students, Carter said. She said once the new plan begins, she is worried administrators in charge will not be as receptive and engaged with students compared to previous years.

“I don’t think it’s just something that can be left up to one department or one person at the university,” Carter said. “I think it needs to be a group effort involving all the stakeholders.”

With the biennial budget still in the works, administrators are unsure exactly which programs will be cut and which programs will remain, Hampton said.

Broad goals in the new framework include promoting shared values of diversity and inclusion, improving coordination of campus diversity planning, engaging campus leadership for diversity and inclusion, improving access to the university and improving retention rates, according to the framework’s implementation report.

Initiatives in the 10-year plan will be implemented in three phases, with the higher priority initiatives in phase one being implemented first, Hampton said. First steps will include engaging all campus units to standardize the practice of including specific goals for diversity in strategic planning, according to the presentation on the framework.

“We have a 10-year plan that will make our university great, and definitely reflect all the excellence of all of our various identities on campus, staff and students,” Hampton said.