Madison native seeks to empower black women who were victims of sexual assault

Black Women Heal Day brings together over 1,000 participants to heal from sexual assault
Photo courtesy of Lilada Gee

A survivor of sexual abuse, Reverend Lilada Gee knows the difficulties of the journey to recovery and is making it her life’s work to help ease the healing process for others.

She was sexually abused by a member of her family beginning at the age of six, but has turned trauma into inspiration, since founding multiple support groups and establishing outreach efforts.

Sexual abuse is oftentimes deeply embedded in a woman’s heritage, Gee said. She personally discovered her family history during her personal healing process, but said often times that is not on the minds of enough black women.

“I’m still getting residuals from my lineage,” Gee said. “Since the 1600’s, my lineage of black women have been sexually assaulted.”

Furthermore, it is not frequently reported or talked about, she said. For every black woman who reports sexual abuse, 15 do not, Gee said.

Since only five percent of those women who report sexual assault actually seek out help during their healing process, Gee is committed to helping these women in every way possible.

Gee is the founder and executive director of the downtown Madison organization Lilada’s Livingroom… A Safe Place to Heal, an outlet for women to begin their healing process after surviving sexual assault.

“I truly believe in creating these regional networks so that women have a place to go,” Gee said.

The first Black Women Heal Day was held this year on April 1. This was a day founded by Gee to help inspire women to begin the healing process, as well as educate communities on the effects of child sexual abuse, she said. The event is intended to become an annual celebration, and brought together close to 1,200 participants this year.

The celebration of the first Black Women Heal Day inspired the creation of an international hashtag, #BlackWomenHeal, Gee said.

Through the help of the hashtag and Gee’s outreach, the effort quickly became part of an international conversation. A total of 40 states and 12 countries were involved, including Jamaica, Nigeria and Mexico. Several vloggers and bloggers also contributed through acknowledgements of the special day and celebrations of their own.

Though Gee has already helped many women, she wants to expand outreach. Over the next year she is determined to have at least one representative in every state in America. Gee plans to travel to various states to personally contact possible representatives, as well as pursue outreach via media to ensure that women are being heard and helped.

Along with the goal to spread awareness throughout the United States, Gee wants to build an outreach program throughout the African diaspora to help those women have the chance to heal.

Locally, her dedication has led to the creation of a student organization called Black Women Heal! on University of Wisconsin’s campus.

Going beyond providing a safe space for women, the organization tries to connect women who are working or studying in the same field, Madeline Gunther, campus liaison, said.

“As a woman of color, you do feel isolated at times,” Gunther said. “These challenges are exactly why Gee’s devotion to provide outreach to connect women with similar experiences is important to strengthen the community.”