Attorney General says DOJ working “expeditiously” on Robinson investigation

Schimel: DOJ has assigned agents from across Wisconsin to case, stresses need for integrity
Jason Chan
Police stood guard over the house where Tony Robinson was shot dead Friday. The house will be under investigation and must be left untouched.

As Madisonians continued to take to the streets Monday in protest of the death of 19-year-old Tony Robinson, Attorney General Brad Schimel said the Department of Justice is working “expeditiously” on the case.

Schimel said in a statement that DOJ Division of Criminal Investigation agents from across the state are assigned to the investigation, which was sparked after Robinson was fatally shot by a Madison police officer at a Williamson Street residence Friday night.

He said DOJ and county officials are working with Robinson’s family and stressed the importance of protecting the integrity of witness statements in the investigation’s proceedings.

The DOJ is gathering facts and will present them to the Dane County District Attorney for review and a public statement on the case.

Gov. Scott Walker also weighed in via a spokesperson Monday, offering his thoughts and prayers to to those affected.

Dane County Executive Joe Parisi also expressed his condolences for Robinson’s family in a statement and said it brings to light the disparities within the community and the U.S.

As we move forward, we must do so with renewed vigor on behalf of all young people in our community who want and deserve a fair chance to succeed and thrive,” Parisi said in the statement.

U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison offered his sympathy to the Robinson family in a statement and said he hopes the community can grow stronger after the tragedy.

Pocan noted racial inequalities in incarceration rates in Madison and said he looks forward to a transparent investigation. He also encouraged community members to offer their voices.

“Exercising our rights through peaceful protests and demonstrations allows us to ensure voices are heard and put our community on the path toward healing and understanding,” he said in the statement. “We will get through this if we move forward together.”