Raymond Cross chosen as UW System president

The UW System Board of Regents selected current University of Wisconsin Colleges and University of Wisconsin-Extension Chancellor Raymond Cross as the new UW System president in a closed meeting Monday.

The announcement was made via the UW System’s Twitter account, @UWSystem. Calls to UW System spokesperson David Giroux regarding the decision to announce the new president on Twitter were not returned.

According to Giroux, the session convened with a short open session for roll call and immediately moved into a closed session for discussion of candidates.

The Board of Regents meeting was held in the office of Board of Regents Executive Director and Corporate Secretary Jane Radue.

“I would like to congratulate Ray Cross on the new position,” Gov. Scott Walker said in a statement. “Ray’s leadership and collaboration skills will help improve the excellence of higher education in Wisconsin.”

The governor said he enjoyed working with Cross on the new UW Flex Option program, which will launch this November to provide some students with alternative ways to finish their degrees.

Cross’s experience as UW-Extension and UW Colleges chancellor will be key in his new position, Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, said in a statement.

“I trust Ray Cross and believe he offers the right leadership at a critical time in the history of the UW System,” Nash said. “While we won’t agree on every issue, I know that he will be a man of his word and will always prioritize the best interests of Wisconsin families.”