UW System announces finalists for president position

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents announced today the search for a new UW System president is down to just three candidates.

The finalists are Raymond Cross, chancellor of UW Colleges and UW-Extension, Peter Garland, executive vice chancellor/chief operating officer at the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, and Robert King, president of the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education, according to a release from the system.

The candidates were selected by an 18-member search and screen committee. One student, a UW-Green Bay senior, sat on that committee.

Board of Regents President Michael Falbo and the selection committee will interview the candidates again on Jan. 6. After that interview, the committee will recommend one candidate to the full board, who must approve the presidential appointment.

A final appointment decision will be made when the full Board of Regents meets on Jan. 9, the release said.

Ahead of that meeting, each candidate will participate in a statewide public forum through video conferences, which are scheduled for Jan. 6 from 11:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. The conferences, hosted at an array of System campuses around the state, will give students, faculty and staff the chance to interact with the candidates directly, according to the statement.

The candidate appointed will succeed former UW System President Kevin Reilly, who left the office in December to work with the American Council on Education.