Q&A: Consul General says Jewish life without Israel not holy

[media-credit name=”Henry Erdman” align=”alignright” width=”320″]Israel111413_028[/media-credit]In the eyes of Roey Gilad, the Israeli Consul General for the Midwest, no challenge can bring down the state of Israel. In a campus visit, Gilad spoke the challenges facing the Middle East at the University of Wisconsin’s Hillel center. The Badger Herald had the opportunity to sit down with Gilad after his lecture to address the issues facing Jewish youth in the United States. This interview has been edited for clarity and style.

How would you define your role as Consul General of Israel in the Midwest?

I always say that my role and relationship with the state of Israel is like between a lawyer and their client. I am there to represent and protect the interests of the state of Israel in the 11 states that I am responsible for. I think there is something in the human DNA here, there are many dimensions that we develop partnerships between the Midwest and the Middle East.

Would you say it is part of your role to form peoples’ perceptions of Israel?

It is part of my responsibility to explain to people the very unique challenges that the state of Israel is facing.

There was a recent study by the PEW research center that said fewer Jewish youth are identifying with Judaism. You are on a college campus, how do you see the perception of Israel among the Jewish youth in America?

Listen, I read this report. If it is true then it is worrying. Generally speaking Americans support of Israel has been a cornerstone of our strategic stability. If indeed the poll is correct and there is erosion that is dangerous erosion. It is not that Israel cannot do without the United State, they can do, but they can do much better if we have the US with us as I believe we do. Again this report should not be ignored. We should plan for the future if indeed this trend is true.

So if this trend is true, what is behind it?

I am not sure I have the answer. Maybe, Israel is less attractive to young Jewish people in America. So the temptation to ignore what is happening in Israel is very big because Israel is facing challenges, but I say the life of a young Jew, in the United States cannot be full even if he is very successful and very rich and has a great job and great family, but I really believe he cannot fulfill his life as a modern Jewish student or youngster if he lacks any affiliation with the state of Israel.

Can you expand on that?

If you separate yourself from the state– if you just behave that the state is not there I believe you do not lead a full, holistic Jewish life. For Jewish life is holistic only if there is some kind of Israel in this life.

Concerning the diaspora community, is there a brain drain out of Israel?

I think you are correct. There is a dangerous brain drain from Israel because we cannot pay the same salaries. But for those who chose to follow the money that is okay as long as they continue their relationship with Israel. It doesn’t make me extremely happy, it doesn’t make me satisfied, but yet I can understand it. I am not judgmental, I am not criticizing it.  In Chicago we have around 6,000 Israelis, its not a huge diaspora but we take them very seriously. If they decide to live in America that is fine with us.

What do you say to a young Jewish person in the United States with doubts about Israel?

Just clear the doubts. There is not reason for doubt. Israel is a solid strong state that is not going anywhere. Between ignoring Israel and choosing to be part of the debate, it is better to influence in a positive way the future of Israel then ignore Israel for if you do ignore Israel your life as a Jew is not holy, it is not full.