SSFC approves budget for AHA

The Associated Students of Madison’s Student Services Finance Committee approved the budget for Atheists, Humanists and Agnostics for fiscal year 2014-2015 and heard a budget presentation from the Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students at a meeting Monday.

Atheists, Humanists and Agnostics

After some questions regarding the advertisement budget line item, SSFC representatives voted 9-0-2 to fund AHA’s requested budget of $61,315.51.

AHA, an organization that promotes the discussion of faith and religion on campus, provides services that educate students on issues important to the secular community and encourage the personal development of one’s religious identity, according to the organization’s website.

AHA Outreach Chair Sam Erickson said while there was no change in the money requested for advertising, the organization planned to take a new approach with an increased emphasis on online advertising through the student newspapers and sites such as Reddit.

Rep. Devon Maier said he was comfortable with the new approach as the advertisements still targeted UW students.

Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students 

VETS requested a budget of $34,874.00 for fiscal year 2014-2015, a $3,000 decrease from the previous fiscal year.

VETS is a student organization focused on providing services to students who are considering joining the military, soliciting participation in physical and mental health research projects and educating the general student body on military-related issues, according to their website.

The group did not request any money in the computer soft and hardware budget line item. The organization also decreased their budget for print and photocopying by 30 percent from last year’s approved budget.

VETS requested an almost $2,000 increase for their program budget, consisting of 2 educational speakers, attendance at a national conference and one film night.

The increase in the program budget was to account for rising airfare and transportation costs, Karsten Rimestad, executive director of VETS, said.

Rep. Ian Malmstadt said the organization should research whether it was possible to host the film night for free.

SSFC will vote whether to approve VETS budget and hear a proposal from Greater University Tutoring Services at their meeting Thursday.