Madison alderwoman to run for Wisconsin Assembly

Ald. Lisa Subeck, District 1, announced Thursday she will run for the seat of Rep. Brett Hulsey, D-Madison, in the Wisconsin Assembly.

As a Madison resident since 1989, an active member of the Democratic Party of Wisconsin and city alderwoman, Subeck said she has a lot of leadership experience in the community.

After thinking over the decision for a long time, Subeck said she decided to run for the Assembly seat because the district is in need of a good leader.

Subeck said she is in a great position to step up for the job. With her strong past in public policy experience, and her progressive and effective ideas, Subeck said she is ready to take on the role.

Subeck is also the executive director of United Wisconsin, an organization in favor of “progressive values,” according to the organization’s website.

If elected, Subeck said she plans to focus on a wide range of issues, but plans to place an emphasis on public education, women’s health and the economy.

“I plan to work hard for the folks to have strong economic opportunities in our state,” Subeck said.

Subeck added strong economics stem from strong public schools.

Women’s health is another issue Subeck said she plans to prioritize. She said every woman should have access to the health care that she needs and she will work to make this a reality.

Subeck’s spokesperson Erik Kirstein said Subeck is a highly qualified candidate and would be a great representative for the state of Wisconsin.

Calls and emails to Hulsey were not returned.