SSFC grants eligibility to ALPS and GUTS

A committee of the University of Wisconsin’s student government granted Adventure Learning Programs and Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students eligibility to receive segregated fee funding for the fiscal year 2014-’15 at their meeting on Thursday.

VETS is a student organization focused on providing services to students who are considering joining the military, soliciting participation in physical and mental health research projects, and educating the general student body on military-related issues, a press release from the Associated Students of Madison said. The Student Services Finance Committee approved VETS’s eligibility application by a vote of 10 to zero.

SSFC members said VETS fit all the direct service criteria but several members debated whether the direct services of the organization are aimed at reaching all students on campus.

VETS services are available to all students on campus, John Bechtol, VETS advisor said. Many students have parents and friends serving in the military and can seek out VETS programming.

VETS is attempting to reach all students in the university, they are making an effort, whether they get a response is separate, Rep. Dylan Fiedler said.

“I was considering this. The goal for VETS is not to advocate for their own cause it’s to educate others about their cause and they’re not just aiming at their own constituents, they’re aiming at the student body as a whole,” Rep. Mike Ducharme said.

After little debate and no questions, SSFC also granted eligibility to the student organization ALPS, by a vote of nine to zero.

ALPS is a student organization that offers adventure-based experiential education ropes courses and workshops to university students, ALPS member Lee Swartz said.

Members of SSFC agreed the majority of ALPS’ hours went to direct services and members agreed that some of the non-direct service hours also went towards direct service, such as time ALPS members spend training in order to be able to lead workshops for students.

Multicultural Students Coalition also presented their application for segregated fee funding at the meeting.

MCSC is an alliance of students deeply committed to social justice and the principles of unity, integrity, responsibility and respect, according to the MCSC website.

MCSC aims to enhance cross-cultural respect and understanding through building coalitions among students, faculty and staff, and between the campus and larger community, Olivia Wick-Bander said.

MCSC was granted minimal funding in fiscal year 2012-2013. MCSC then appealed to the Student Judiciary claiming the student finance board violated viewpoint neutrality, this appeal was denied.

MCSC spent extensive time detailing the process and what happened in 2012.

MCSC listed diversity education as their direct service and were hesitant to provide direct service hours.

“I’m skeptical of this because we tell you what we do and then it’s manipulated, it’s prorated and there’s all these different things that happen to it where, if we’re going to five you numbers and tell you what we did then I don’t know why you wouldn’t just take them,” Wick-Bander said.

MCSC listed an ideas and project form as a way that students on campus could get involved with MCSC.

Idea and project forms are a way to help students get their voice onto paper so they can positively impact campus climate, Wick-Bander said.

SSFC will vote on whether to grant eligibility to MCSC on Sept. 23 and will hold eligibility hearings for SPILL and InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.