HR Redesign Project Releases Recommendations

Seven work teams released their initial recommendations Monday for the new shape of the University of Wisconsin Human Resources system after provisions in the state budget gave UW the authority to create its own HR system.

The recommendations, composed by representatives from across UW, are an initial step from the work groups to improve the campus personnel system.

“We are trying to develop a human resource system that works for a major public research university,” Vice Chancellor Darrell Bazzell said.

Each of the work teams focuses on a different human resources area, including benefits, compensation, competencies, a diverse workforce, employee categories, recruitment and assessment, and titles.

The compensation work team recommended in its report that compensation be market-based across all job types, as well as a formal system for all job types to apply adjustments to compensation based on performance or job responsibilities.

A diversity work team also recommended UW expand and promote campus resources that provide diversity and equity-related training and expertise to help employees ensure others are treated with respect and that units have a positive climate.

The reports said UW should change job titles or categories, which could lead to more university-wide standardization, as well as changes in perceptions of the positions.

According to the report on recruitment and assessment, UW is the only institution in the Big Ten that does not have a system to track incoming resumes and standardize the sending of letters to job applicants.

The team included a variety of recommendations in its report, including changes in the use of technology, methods of internal recruitment and new forms of advertising, which could make UW more efficient and competitive in its hiring process.

Each report details findings on UW’s current strengths and issues, with potential alternatives to the recommendations also addressed and research on the proposal.

The work teams must have the major elements ready to implement the project by July 2013, which must first be approved by the Board of Regents and legislators before it can be implemented, Bazzell said.

“We welcome the public, but the focus will be for the campus community, mainly students, faculty and staff,” Bazzell said. “Based on feedback through the forums and web chats we host, the teams will change and finalize recommendations.”

Bazzell added there has been feedback along the way, and they hope to get more in the next couple of events.

He said not only can students get involved by going to the forums and participating in the web chats, but they can also give direct input by going to the website and emailing specific feedback.

“The project will go on for some time. There are still more details to work out,” Bazzell said. “There has been great progress, but this is a large, complex system. We are on schedule, but there is a lot more work to be done.”

The next open forum will be held April 17 in Union South, followed by a second forum April 19 at the Health Sciences Learning Center.