Partisan students examine issues

Leaders of partisan groups on campus tackled hot-button issues during Wednesday’s first annual presidential debate between University of Wisconsin College Democrats and College Republicans.

The debate was broadcasted live on WSUM radio from the Sett in the Union South and was sponsored by The Badger Herald, the Daily Cardinal and WSUM.

College Democrats Chair Jordan Weibel and College Republicans Chair Johnny Koremenos went head-to-head on issues moderators found pertinent to students and to the current national and local political climates. The debate was focused around issues central to the upcoming presidential debate, including LGBT issues, abortion, making education more affordable and America’s energy future.

The set-up allowed listeners to ask questions via Twitter and for viewers at the Sett to offer questions that could be answered by the representatives.

Contenders largely focused on today’s economic issues with emphasis on wealth disparity and the Occupy Wall Street protests.

Koremenos said taxation is not a solution to the current economic situation.

“You cannot tax your way to prosperity; you have to find a way to cut spending,” he said.

In contrast, College Democrats emphasized how wealth disparity is further damaging the economy.

“This is the incredibly rich, not just the rich. What you call charity is just raising the bracket,” Weibel said when asked if the rich paying for the poor was similar to charity.

Following two hours of back and forth questions surrounding economic and social issues, the debate turned to center in on candidates in the running for the 2012 presidency.

Both Koremenos and Weibel agreed the public is underwhelmed by the current Republican candidates.

“Because the field is so wide right now, it is hard for the Republican base to get behind one candidate or another,” Koremenos said.

Weibel said the lack of excitement about Republican candidates stems from the fact that none of them have much to offer.

As expected, Weibel expressed strong support for the reelection of President Barack Obama.

Koremenos strongly disagreed, quoting Obama as saying he would be a one-term president if he did not fix the economy in three years. Koremenos argued Obama said he would be held accountable and should not be re-elected if such were the case.

According to Koremenos, Obama has not lived up to this promise.

Alex Brousseau, chair of the Editorial Board at The Badger Herald, said the debate had strong turnout and represented how parties can come together even when they do not agree on many issues.

“Great to get not only the College Democrats and the College Republicans together but also The Badger Herald and the Daily Cardinal,” she said. “It shows that two sides that oppose each other can come together.”