Crime in brief

NAKOOSA TRAIL: Battery

Madison resident Dandrea Fultz, 19, was arrested for battery and disorderly conduct in the Wal-Mart parking lot on Nakoosa Trail.

Fultz’s victim, an 18-year-old woman, suffered several small cuts on her face and one inside an ear, an MPD report said.

According to the report, the suspect cut her finger when she pulled a knife from her bag and threatened the victim. She later received stitches.

Bystanders prevented the suspect from further attacking the victim, the report said.

Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3, said her district is still among the safest in the city.

“An incident like this is an unusual thing for this area,” she said.

NORTH SHERMAN AVE: Weapons Violation

A 15-year-old male was arrested after a woman saw the suspect running from North Sherman Avenue toward Winchester Road with what appeared to be a handgun in his possession, according to an MPD report.

A homicide near the area that occurred just the day before caused reason for suspicion, said the report.

After further investigation, the report said, it was determined the suspect did not possess a real weapon. Instead, he was carrying an Airsoft pellet gun that appeared real.

NORTH SIDE: Homicide Update

20-year-old Shon Hamilton and an unnamed 16-year-old boy, both of Madison, were arrested and charged with being party to first-degree murder Wednesday, said an MPD report.

Hamilton confessed after a Community Crime Watch bulletin was distributed by police. The 16-year-old suspect was apprehended shortly thereafter, said the report.

The original shooting took place during a gang-related gunfight on Oct. 2, said the report. The violence occurred on the 800 block of Troy Drive.

Gonzalez said the investigation is still ongoing, and more suspects could potentially be identified in the future.

MADISON: Heroin Dealing

42-year-old Tracy Williams of Madison plead guilty to dealing heroine and was sentenced to four years in prison Tuesday. He and his brother were arrested in May.

Williams and his brother Sedrick Williams were arrested May 19 after officers found more than 30 grams of heroin hidden in the engine compartment of Sedrick Williams’ car, according to a statement from the U.S. Department of Justice.

Sedrick Williams also plead guilty and is scheduled for sentencing in November, the statement said.

Madison Police Department Sgt. Bernie Gonzalez said the spike in heroin usage is a recent phenomenon in the area.

“MPD is focusing on informing the public about [heroin’s] usage and dangers,” Gonzalez said.