Feingold voices support for Occupy Wall Street

feingold_TF
Former U.S. Senator Russ Feingold spoke out in support of the Occupy Wall Street movement, which has taken root in Madison, on the Union Terrace on Friday.[/media-credit]

Former U.S. Senator Russ Feingold visited campus Friday to express his support for the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations, saying the “recklessness” of Wall Street executives has been detrimental in citizens’ lives.

Feingold distinguished himself from other Democrats who had not actively spoken in favor of the movement, saying the moment was right for this movement to impact change on a national scale.

“I don’t just ‘understand’ the protest, as some of the Democrats are saying,” he said to a large crowd on the Memorial Union Terrace. “I’m not just pleased about the protest; I am excited about the protest. It is time we stood up.”

He highlighted the Supreme Court ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission, which he called “the greatest crime of all,” as a reason for voicing his support. In this ruling, the high court determined the First Amendment protects the rights of corporations and unions in contributing money to candidates’ campaigns.

He emphasized the need to overturn this decision, arguing it destroys citizens’ role in democracy.

“We have to expose the abuses at the national level that are supporting some of the worst policies possible,” he said.

Feingold also contested the accusations that the protestors are acting with no clear agenda.

He also urged attendees to join him in lending support for the movement both locally and nationally.

“They’re protesting because their lives have been ruined by the recklessness of this country,” he said. “When you work this hard … when you do everything right and you graduate and you can’t get a job because there’s too much greed in this country, someone has to stand up to that. And that’s what these protesters are doing.”

He spoke about the current joblessness in the country as well, citing the trend as another reason for discontent among protesters. He also discussed the extension of tax cuts for the wealthy.

Feingold also highlighted his previous efforts to hold Wall Street accountable, saying he voted against the Wall Street bailout in 2008.

The event was hosted by Young Progressives, an organization that works to “promote progressive ideals and activism among members of both the UW campus and the wider community,” according to the group’s website.

The Occupy Wall Street movement began on Sept. 29 and has been gaining momentum in cities across the U.S., including an occupation in Madison’s Reynolds Park. Last week, about 200 people gathered together for an Occupy Madison event hosted in solidarity with protesters in New York City.

Steve Hughes, president of the Young Progressives, said Feingold was invited to campus for his ability to “bring diverse people together for a common cause.”

He also said the group firmly supports the Occupy Wall Street protests as well.

“If we continue to fight this, change will come,” he said. “This is the time that progressives truly need to unite, and no one understands that better than Russ Feingold.”

Hughes said Feingold was the reason why the Young Progressives organization exists today, calling him an “inspiration.” 

He added the organization also plans to help mobilize in support of the recall efforts against Gov. Scott Walker beginning as early as November.