UW, state look at admissions

A Wisconsin Assembly committee announced it would hold an informational hearing regarding the University of Wisconsin’s holistic admissions process.

According to a statement from committee chairperson Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, the Assembly Committee on Colleges and Universities is responding to two controversial studies released by the conservative think tank Center for Equal Opportunity last month, claiming UW uses reverse discrimination in its admissions policies.

The studies allege the university’s undergraduate and law school admissions discriminate according to race and ethnicity, giving preference to blacks and Latinos over Caucasian and Asian applicants, according to CEO’s website.

Data from the study implies that race and ethnicity may be used as a final determining factor in the admissions process, according to Mike Mikalsen, spokesperson for Nass.

During the hearing, the committee will listen to testimonies regarding UW’s admissions process, Mikalsen said. The public will be allowed to attend, with access restricted by the number of seats available. He said only speakers invited by the committee will be asked to partake in the conversation.

Mikalsen also addressed concerns that demonstrators may be present at the hearing.

“We certainly want people to come and observe and listen,” Mikalsen said. “Rep. Nass and the capitol police will not allow demonstrations or disruptions of the community hearing. It is not lost on the capitol police what happened at the Double Tree Hotel. That kind of behavior will not be tolerated.”

When CEO representatives were in town last month to present their studies’ findings at the West Johnson Street Double Tree, protesters who were unable to get into the conference because of a lack of space pushed through hotel security and stormed the meeting.

Mikalsen said the hearing will be evaluative in nature and would focus on testimonies from UW representatives, the UW System and CEO.

However, he said the hearing might open the door for future action by the committee regarding the admissions process.

“Rep. Nass felt it was important to move forward with the hearing to at least review [the admissions process]. The idea is to allow both sides to come in and provide the community with testimonies and viewpoints about what the studies show and don’t show,” Mikalsen said. “It will allow the community to build up a base of knowledge for future potential actions the committee might have to take.”

Mikalsen said although only the invited parties would be allowed to speak at Monday’s meeting, public hearings allowing students and members of the community to provide their input could potentially happen in the future.

Vice Chancellor for University Relations Vince Sweeney confirmed UW had received an invitation from the committee to participate in Monday’s hearing and is currently cooperating with them by providing a list of suggested speakers.

“We’re working closely with the staff of Nass’s committee to submit some potential representatives from UW to participate in the hearing,” Sweeney said. “We are always open for a discussion, we more than welcome the conversation and we look forward to participating.”

Interim Chancellor David Ward will not be among those representatives, as he will be out of town during the day of the hearing, Sweeney said.

On the subject of UW’s admissions policies, Sweeney said the university plans to move forward with it.

“We stand behind the policy,” Sweeney said. “We are emphasizing that we feel that our policy is a good one. It has been challenged both in the courts and outside of the courts, but we feel strongly that it works well with UW and the UW System.”