UW ranked highly in international, national surveys

Two new surveys of institutions of higher education globally and nationally should boost Badger pride after the University of Wisconsin received widespread acclaim for its academic programming.

UW ranked 25th internationally for its reputation in teaching and research in a 2011 survey by the Times Higher Education, an improvement from 43rd place finish in 2010. The United States dominated the rankings, securing 45 out of 100 spots.

Several graduate programs also earned national honors in the 2012 U.S. News and World Report rankings.

Provost Paul DeLuca said the results do not come as a surprise to members of the campus community.

“The university has a history of doing well in rankings, especially compared to other public universities. The results were expected,” he said. “We would be disappointed if the school ranked lower.”

A UW statement said the international rankings were determined by surveying 13,400 academics in 131 countries and compiled by the Times Higher Education. The evaluation was one of the largest of its kind.

The institutions filling the top five spots were Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of Cambridge, University of California-Berkeley and Stanford University.

Aaron Brower, vice provost for teaching and learning, said the ranking system uses a unique set of criteria that yields authoritative survey results.

“The Times Higher Education system highly weights teaching and research. The ranking systems that are most balanced between research, service and education are the ones most respected in the world,” Brower said.

Times Higher Education also said in a statement these ranking will prove increasingly important as institutions compete for the best students, teachers, researchers and administrators.

DeLuca said he believes the rankings would give applicants increased confidence in the university. He also said the rankings may encourage prospective students to choose to enroll at UW.

In another survey, the UW School of Veterinary Medicine and School of Education also earned high standings in a U.S. News and World Report ranking.

While both the veterinary and education programs were nationally ranked in the top 10, UW’s Master of Fine Arts in printmaking and rehabilitation counseling programs were ranked first in the nation.

“The university works hard to be excellent in its research, service and its education. We do rank high in almost all national and international ranking systems out there,” Brower said.