UW admissions sees record increase in undergraduate applications total

In another demonstration of the University of Wisconsin’s increased visibility and positive recognition over the past year, a record number of prospective Badgers submitted freshman admission applications.

UW spokesperson John Lucas said the university received 28,000 applications for enrollment during the fall semester, an increase of 12 percent from the previous year.

Lucas said the increase is likely a result of efforts to increase visibility throughout the school year.

“It is not only a testament to the work of the admissions department but also the national and international attention the UW has received in the last year,” he said. 

He also said one of the more obvious factors that may have contributed to the increase in applications was the success of the Badger football team this year and its trip to the Rose Bowl in January.

Chancellor Biddy Martin’s outreach to China has also made the university more appealing to international students, he said, as have the various academic honors UW programming has received in the past year.

Lucas said though the increase in admissions places UW among the most selective universities in the country, the trend will not affect the campus’s commitment to Wisconsin’s students and families.

He added the increase does not necessarily indicate UW enrollment will dramatically increase or that standards for admission to the university will become substantially more selective in years to come.

In an email to The Badger Herald, Aaron Brower, vice provost for teaching and learning, said the increase in applications is a testament to the work of the admissions department as well as the UW as a whole to attract the best and brightest students from around the world.

“The increase in applications is continued validation of our quality, cost and national and international reputation,” Brower said. “Clearly, everyone wants the Wisconsin Experience.”