Dean of Students addresses student government concerns over new Badger Partnership

studentcouncil_MH
Dean of Students Lori Berquam and other UW officials met with Student Council members Wednesday to address several concerns the council has with the proposed Badger Partnership[/media-credit]

Dean of Students Lori Berquam and other university officials addressed the student government’s concerns regarding the proposed Badger Partnership at a meeting Wednesday night.

The Badger Partnership is Chancellor Biddy Martin’s proposed business model for the University of Wisconsin, which would grant the institution more flexibility from state control and allow it to make its own decisions regarding purchasing, building construction, wages and tuition.

Along with Berquam, UW Vice Chancellor Darrell Bazzell and UW Director of State Relations Don Nelson spoke to council members about a proposed resolution that was drafted by council member Jonah Zinn.

After acknowledging the far-reaching consequences the Badger Partnership would have on student life, Zinn wrote the resolution, which demands UW administration provide the Associated Students of Madison with specific details of the partnership by Dec. 15.

Nelson told the council they would be more than willing to provide specifics of the proposal, however the partnership is only a general concept right now, since the details cannot be hammered out until Gov.-elect Scott Walker takes office next month and proposes his state budget.

“You all want details. I get it. Details are important,” Nelson said. “Honestly we don’t know the details because we don’t know what the governor is going to put forward yet.”

Zinn told the administrators he felt students were being kept in the dark, and he had a hard time believing they had no specific details on such a monumental concept that could fundamentally change the structure of the way the university is run.

“It might be true they don’t have something written up, but frankly it is hard for me to believe that with this proposal, which has been in the works for years, they don’t have some intention of where they want to go with it,” Zinn said.

Bazzell said the administration has had open conversation with the governor-elect regarding the partnership, but is not proposing specifics. He also said significant changes will only be enacted if the governor has the opportunity to “own” the proposal and feels it is ultimately his own.

Nelson told council members he understands their concerns, and will do everything he can to remain transparent and keep students involved.

“We’re not trying to hide anything from you all, we really aren’t, and I sincerely hope you understand that,” Nelson said.

Berquam also stressed the value of the student voice in moving forward.

“We want to de-myth the information out there,” Berquam said.

She added council members are the administration’s best voice for reaching students, and she hopes they will make an effort to share information regarding the partnership with other students.

Bazzell said he would do whatever it takes to keep students involved and keep any and all information open to the public.

“At the end of the day it’s not about you buying into what I’m saying or what the chancellor is saying. At the end of the day it’s about being transparent,” Bazzell said. “That’s the take home message I’m leaving with today.”

The council delayed voting on the resolution until its meeting next Wednesday.