Cycle for Life pedals for cancer research

cycleforlife_ZL
One of the charity’s participants pedals away on one of the bikes Pi Kappa Alpha reserved at the SERF this weekend.[/media-credit]

With the memory of a lost brother in mind, members of the University of Wisconsin’s Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity organized an event to raise funds for research on the disease that killed him.

PIKE organized the first annual Cycle for Life event at UW to raise awareness for leukemia and blood research, said PIKE member Chris Goebbert, and raised a grand total of $2,500.

“We lost a brother at University of New Hampshire to leukemia about three years ago,” Goebbert said. “His parents’ goal is to make this foundation nationwide, of course we were going to participate and help out.”

PIKE chapters at 21 schools across the nation participated in the event, Goebbert said.

PIKE reserved bikes at the Southeast Recreation Facility in the cardio room and the indoor track for the event. To participate, students donated ten dollars to ride a bike for 30 minutes with all proceeds going to leukemia and blood research, Goebbert said.

Initially, PIKE raised about $1,500 from donations but hoped to raise $4,000 after the Cycle for Life event. In addition to cycling, members also contacted alumni for donations. Goebbert said the fraternity would still be collecting donations after the fundraiser was over to reach the goal of $4,000. 

This is the first year PIKE participated in the event and so far, Goebbert said, it’s been a learning experience.

The event started at 9 on Sunday morning and went until 5 p.m. By 11:00 a.m., 34 people had participated. Overall, 70 participants made it to the SERF Sunday, resulting in $1,000 for the day Goebbert said.

The fact that PIKE made the event easy, motivated students such as UW senior Kim Chatto to donate to the cause.

“It’s so simple,” Chatto said. “Everyone knows where the SERF is, and most of us would have come here to work out anyway.”

Not only is it a great way to raise awareness for a cause, but also to help yourself, said UW sophomore Hope Zeckmeister.

“Cycle for Life not only helps raise funds for research but also raises self awareness to keep yourself healthy and active and showing that you can make a difference at a young age,” Zeckmeister said.