UW student finalist in American Advertising Federation search

A flight to New York City and the opportunity to network with representatives from the most well-known advertising industry leaders is what one University of Wisconsin senior will receive after becoming a finalist for a national advertising organization.

UW senior Neena Amarnani found out Nov. 19 she had been selected as a finalist in the American Advertising Federation’s Most Promising Minority Students Program, which she said she is excited about.

As a result of her selection, Amarnani will be flown to New York City in February where she will have the chance not only to meet with top advertising and media company representatives, but also to interview for potential jobs.

Faculty associate in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication Debra Peirce, who also serves as UW’s Ad Club advisor, nominated Amarnani for the program because of her wide-ranging experience in the advertising field.

Amarnani’s selection as a finalist marks the first time a UW student has been selected to this particular program of the AAF, Pierce said, but she added a student did receive an internship through AAF this past summer.

Networking with professionals in the advertising industry is what Amarnani is looking forward to most about her trip.

“It’s stressful going through the job search thing, so hopefully this will help me,” Amarnani said. “I’m grateful that they have opportunities like this for access to industry professionals.”

Only 50 students from around the country were selected as finalists, which Pierce said is a testament to the progress UW’s Ad Club has made over the past year.

With about 85 members, UW’s Ad Club is one of the largest chapters in the country, Pierce added.

Until recently, the Ad Club was not affiliated with AAF. Pierce attributed the rise in memberships to the AAF affiliation, which makes opportunities such as the Most Promising Minority Students Program and the internship program possible.

In her first year in Ad Club, Amarnani said she wished she would have joined sooner, but the support she’s received from the group has helped her move toward a future career.