Teens arrested after stealing from motorcycle advocates’ party bus

Police arrested two Madison teens after they allegedly broke into a bus at a motorcycle clubhouse Tuesday afternoon.

The teens broke into the locked vehicle outside of the Capital City Riders Motorcycle Club building on Parkside Drive and stole items from inside the renovated school bus.

“[The suspects] were being detained by members of the CC Riders when police arrived,” Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

The bus belongs to 39-year-old Dylan Matsch of Hager City, Wis., a member of the Saint Croix River Valley Riders.

SCRV Riders is a non-profit motorcycle rights organization. Matsch drove to Madison with other members for Biker Day, a grassroots-lobbying event held once a year at the Capitol to protect bikers’ rights.

Matsch parked the bus at the CC Riders clubhouse and went downtown for the afternoon.

“When we came back, I got on the bus and saw a cooler had been tipped over,” Matsch said.

He also noticed the window of the back door had been broken in.

“My TVs and stereos were gone,” Matsch said.

Additional items were also missing, including a digital camera, a satellite radio system, a game system and a multipurpose tool.

Matsch phoned for the police. While waiting for police to arrive, the bikers traced footprints in the snow into the surrounding wooded area.

“A young man came out of the woods and started putting the chain back on a bike,” Matsch said.

He said CC Riders knew the bike to belong to an individual who lives nearby. The boy attempted to flee on the bicycle, but Matsch said four bikers chased him down.

Dylan Peterson, age 17, of Madison was arrested for entering a locked vehicle, receiving stolen property and a probation violation, according to police reports, and was taken to the Dane County Jail.

Peterson had a digital camera and the Leatherman multi-purpose tool on his person when he was taken into custody. Matsch confirmed they were his digital camera and Leatherman.

“One of the kids had an ankle bracelet on,” Matsch said. “The police knew him by name.”

Matsch said the CC Riders found more tracks and a second boy in the woods.

The 16-year-old’s name has not been released. The boy was arrested for entry into a locked vehicle, receiving stolen property and possession of Schedule II narcotics, according to police reports.

Matsch said the 16-year-old had his Sirius satellite radio on him. DeSpain said the boy told police the Vicodin in his possession belonged to his mother.

“The 16-year-old was taken to the Juvenile Reception Center,” DeSpain said. “His case will be in the hands of juvenile attorneys.”

Matsch renovated the school bus and now rents out the bus for parties in the St. Croix area. He has been a member of the SCRV Riders since 2005. He allows the non-profit to use the bus for events.

“The larger items have not been found,” DeSpain said. Matsch confirmed the TVs, game system and stereo are still missing.