Students donate cell phones to benefit victims of domestic violence

A University of Wisconsin subcommittee has been collecting used cell phones since Feb. 1 to benefit victims of domestic violence.

All proceeds from the cell phone drive, which ends March 1, will go to Domestic Abuse Intervention Services of Dane County.

According to Executive Director of DAIS Shannon Barry, once the cell phone donation process is complete, Shelter Alliance will recycle the old phones by taking them apart and reselling the individual parts to help raise the money that will be donated to DAIS.

Barry said DAIS will use these donations to help finance the ongoing operations of critical crisis intervention programming, specifically aiding victims of domestic violence to get documentation or medication.

International Student Services advisor and co-chair of the subcommittee Kristin Hildebrandt said this phone drive is an important measure in addressing the grave problem of domestic violence especially prevalent among college-age individuals in Madison.

“I think it’s important just to get the word out there about domestic violence,” Hildebrandt said. “Unfortunately, it is a part of a lot of people’s daily lives.”

According to Hildebrandt, the subcommittee’s donation goal is $5,000 to DAIS. She added the subcommittee wants to ensure people on campus are aware DAIS is not just for Madison community members, but for students, staff, faculty and anyone who has been affected by domestic abuse, as well.

Bins at the front desk of any university residence hall, the Bascom Hall communal center, Kellner Hall and any Ancora Coffee House are among the many places students can donate their old cell phones around campus.

“I think [the cell phone drive] demonstrates that the community believes domestic violence is unacceptable,” Barry said. “It’s really a public demonstration by the university as a community partner in the fight to end domestic violence.”