Good Samaritan accidentally aids in check fraud earlier this month

A favor to a stranger earlier this month caused a Madison man to fall victim to fraud.

In a recently released report from the Madison Police Department, the incident took place at about 2:30 p.m. Feb. 8. The suspect approached the 21-year-old Madison man asking for help cashing a check.

The suspect claimed he was not from the area and therefore was unable to cash a $480 check at the University of Wisconsin Credit Union located on State Street. In exchange for $10, the suspect asked the victim to cash the check in his place.

The victim complied out of favor without accepting payment. However, feeling unsettled about the interaction, the victim soon contacted the MPD, the report said.

Through an investigation conducted by MPD, a UW Credit Union fraud investigator and a Bank of America Corporate Security investigator, it was discovered that another check of the same amount was cashed that same day. Both checks drew money from a previously closed bank account located in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Though MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said he believes the victim is a UW student, it was not confirmed in the investigation or report.

Theft by fraud, he added, is not a crime that regularly takes place in Madison.

DeSpain said the general public has a keen awareness of such activities, thereby safely avoiding potential frauds or scams.

There are other types of fraud to be wary of, he added. Though the crime itself is not necessarily on the rise, there have been efforts to bring public attention to the different forms of fraud.

Common types of fraud are those that disguise themselves as non-profit organizations or request money to be sent out of the country, such as the Nicaraguan email scam, DeSpain said.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, who represents the campus area, said though the incident is isolated, it can serve as a good learning opportunity for students to become aware of possible frauds.

It is especially important for new students since they can be vulnerable targets, he added.