Alumni Research Foundation names new CFO

The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation — a non-profit organization that supports scientific research at the University of Wisconsin — has hired a new chief financial officer who will also serve as its chief operating officer.

Steven Mixtacki, a UW alumnus, will hold responsibility as both the CFO and COO at WARF.

In addition to financial and fiduciary responsibilities for WARF, the new COO position will be responsible for management and the financial direction for WARF’s affiliates, WiCell Research Institute, WiSys Technology Foundation and the Morgridge Institute for Research, WARF spokesperson Janet Kelly said.

“Mixtacki offers a really valuable blend of skills from the corporate business world as well as a very deep experience working with local non-profit organizations,” Kelly said. “He is also very well established in the Madison business community.”

Mixtacki said he brings 29 years of experience from American TV and Appliance of Madison, where he served as the retailer’s CFO, as well as serving on the boards of numerous non-profit organizations.

After two weeks at WARF, Mixtacki said he is excited to work with the organization, but admitted he needed to learn more before he could examine ways to change and improve WARF.

“The mission of WARF and their support of the university is great,” Mixtacki said. “I want to get on a rapid learning curve to be able to help the organization.”

WARF is a patent and licensing organization that supports research at UW and ensures the discoveries of UW scientists benefit the world, Kelly said. Since it began, it has gifted UW more than $1 billion.

Mixtacki said his previous experience with non-profit organizations will help him, but WARF’s mission is on a larger scale than other organizations.

“The difference between non-profit and commercial [organizations] is that non-profit brings a certain mission,” he said. “The fun part of non-profit is how you can further the mission.”

Kelly said Mixtacki’s experience will help WARF.

“We are looking for him to ensure the managing of fiscal aspects of WARF and affiliates in the most effective way and that our efforts will benefit UW-Madison,” Kelly said.