Campus area candidates for county board garner support

Hopefuls for the Dane County Board of Supervisors’ fifth district, containing much of the campus area, have received numerous endorsements in recent weeks, highlighting both the continuation of organizational ties and new territory for at least one group.

District 5 candidates Analiese Eicher and Michael Johnson are looking to fill the seat of outgoing supervisor Wyndham Manning. Although Tuesday’s primaries are not planned for District 5 because there are only two candidates, both Eicher and Johnson are beginning to put a greater emphasis on outreach to their intended constituency.

Eicher has received endorsements from the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees, the South Central Federation of Labor, the Democratic Party of Dane County and the Greater Madison Chamber of Commerce.

The endorsements for county board are the first of their kind for GMCC. In a release by GMCC, representatives note the choice to endorse Dane County candidates is part of a larger attempt by the group to get more involved in regional issues.

“They represent a lot of business all over Dane County,” Eicher, a University of Wisconsin senior, said. “As students, we have a lot of buying power, so even if we may not be small business owners we have a great impact on local businesses.”

The endorsement by the Democratic Party of Dane County is fitting with Eicher’s past involvement in the campaigns of Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis. and Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, and his successor, Bryon Eagon, as well as her involvement with UW’s College Democrats.

Johnson has received endorsements from Manning and Progressive Dane — a liberal grassroots organization.

Co-founder of Progressive Dane’s student chapter, Johnson has spent time in local politics with the campaigns of Katrina Flores for District 8, which she lost to Eagon, and that of Brenda Konkel for District 2, who lost to Bridget Maniaci.

Though Manning has garnered some flak from local media and political groups, Johnson said his endorsement is a welcome one.

“It’s too bad [Manning] has received somewhat of a bad rep from the media,” Johnson said. “I still think he’s done a lot in terms of community issues; I’m very glad to have his support.”

Both candidates said they intend to increase outreach to constituents before the April 6 election.

Eicher said she intends to use the time before the election to educate students about registering and voting. She added her main goal in the campaign is to provide a strong voice on the board and ensure student opinions are heard.

Johnson expressed similar sentiments regarding his role on the board, drawing on his experience as a community activist to reach the individuals.

“I intend to keep meeting with community leaders and student organizations, but it’s what I do on the ground that really matters,” Johnson said. “It’s the people I hope to represent that are really vital to the campaign.”