Letters & Science, Law School deans currently under review

Two University of Wisconsin committees will begin to evaluate the performance of the deans of College of Letters and Science and the Law School this semester in a standard review process which aims to enhance their performance.

Chancellor Biddy Martin and Provost Paul DeLuca assigned committees to evaluate leadership and administrative management activities of College of Letters and Science Dean Gary Sandefur and Law School Dean Kenneth Davis, said Philip Farrell, UW professor and review committee chair for Sandefur.

Over the course of the semester, Farrell and committee members will engage in an “information gathering exercise” in order to compile and submit a confidential report to the chancellor in April, a process that will repeat every five years.

He said it’s characteristic of UW to provide reports and updates for the benefit of the dean and the campus.

“In general, doing an objective evaluation of performance and analysis helps enhance performance,” he said. “It’s good for the individual leader to take a step back and look at your priorities and where you are in regard to development in the college.”

Farrell said the review provides the dean with similar analysis and advice faculty members receive from students on campus.

The committee will review documents from the College of Letters and Science, as well as conduct about 50 interviews of faculty, staff, student leaders and others across campus, Farrell said.

Committee members consist of a variety of representatives from different colleges on campus, he said. Including Farrell, each committee is comprised of eight members.

“It’s good to have a committee that has knowledge and expertise across the spectrum,” he said, adding he was pleased with the membership of the committee.

As part of the review process, Sandefur presented the committee with a summary report detailing challenges the College of Letters and Science faced, as well as a strategic plan for looking to the future of the school, Sandefur said.

Although financial issues and budget cuts remain a difficult challenge, opportunities have enabled the college to add faculty to a number of departments and continue to deliver a very high quality education for undergraduate students, Sandefur said.

This year marks Sandefur’s first review process since he became dean in August 2004.

“I’m hoping the committee will have… some good ideas and suggestions about things we may think about doing in the college in the next five years or so,” Sandefur said.

UW sophomore Marai Binagi, a student majoring in English literature in the College of Letters and Science, said the review process is important at UW.

“It’s important to feel like you need to keep achieving,” he said. “If you aren’t answering to something and you don’t have a report card, some people lose the motivation to keep working hard.”

Phillip Certain, dean emeritus of the College of Letters & Science, serves as review committee chair for Davis. Neither Certain nor Davis could be reached for comment.