Tommy Thompson to come to Madison Thursday

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson will be in Madison tomorrow to deliver a keynote address on efficient business practices at the Moving Forward to Performance Excellence Conference.

The event will be hosted by Wisconsin Forward Award, an organization created by Thompson while governor that works to increase global business competitiveness and performance of state corporations.

Elizabeth Menzer, executive director of Wisconsin Forward Award, said the conference would feature presentations by experts on organizational development and performance in industries such as health care, education and manufacturing.

She added that they try every year to bring in people who will address the interests of the Wisconsin business and organizational community.

“Organizations that we’re seeing a lot of interest in right now are health care organizations of all kinds, K-12 school districts, and we’re starting to see more manufacturing organizations coming back into the fold,” Menzer said.

Thompson was chosen as a keynote speaker due to his understanding of the work their group does to make Wisconsin businesses and organizations as efficient and productive as possible, Menzer added.

“I think he will give his perspective that he’s gleamed from his years as Health Secretary and Governor. I expect him to be somewhat motivating for conference attendees,” Menzer said. “Certainly he’s a person who’s really invested in making Wisconsin a great place to live and work.”

According to a statement, Wisconsin Forward Award is modeled after the national Malcolm Baldrige Quality Program, which gives awards to businesses, education, health care and nonprofit organizations judged to be outstanding in areas such as leadership, strategic planning, workforce focus and results. Wisconsin Forward Award receives funding from the Department of Workforce Development, as well as other state organizations.

The statement added that other conference speakers will include Baldrige award winners Kathleen Goonan, executive director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Performance Excellence; Terry Holliday, the Kentucky commissioner of education; and Paul Linzmeyer, president of ISO International Corporation.

The conference will be held Feb. 11-12 at the American Family Conference Center.