Muggers foiled by lack of possessions

A mugging on Madison’s north side went awry when the would-be victim had nothing to give to his assailants early Monday morning.

Around midnight, while walking on Forster Drive smoking a cigarette, the victim was approached by three individuals. One of the suspects asked the man for a cigarette and was refused by the victim, a report by the Madison Police Department said.

Sometime after, another of the suspects held up what was described by the victim as a “long gun” and demanded money from the victim. When the victim claimed to have no money on him, the suspect first threatened to shoot him, then fled empty-handed.

The suspects are described as being in their late teens to early twenties, 150-160 pounds, between 5 feet 7 inches and 6 feet tall, and wearing dark-colored clothes.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said generally it is advised to turn over whatever is asked of a victim in the case of a mugging. This case was different in that the victim had nothing of value to give.

Updates regarding the stabbing Sunday on State Street were also released by MPD Monday.

The report states a group of 20 to 30 individuals had gathered outside, believed by MPD to have been bystanders near a fight in progress. Upon the arrival of police, the fight had apparently ended.

The Madison man who was the victim of the stabbing told police he had attempted to intervene in the fight, allegedly to aid a friend of his who, according to the report, had been punched and was laying on the ground.

Upon the victim’s intervention, he felt something touch the left side of his torso. Upon closer examination, he saw a puncture wound.

The victim is currently being treated for his injury. He is reported to be in stable condition and improving. DeSpain said the man is expected to make a full recovery.

Neither the victim of the stabbing nor the victim of the fight could provide accurate descriptions of the other parties involved.

“What led up to this event is something we are looking into,” DeSpain said. “Right now the [victims] have not been too forthcoming with details.”