Obama focuses on healthcare, economy, education in address

StateoftheUnion_LK
Obama criticized some Washington officials for standing in the way of financial reform Wednesday.[/media-credit]

Facing a falling approval rating, President Barack Obama gave his first State of the Union address to a joint meeting of Congress Wednesday night, focusing on the economy, healthcare reform and education.

Obama admitted he realizes many Americans are frustrated with the economy and high unemployment rates. Despite the massive budget deficit and recession, Obama said he is more hopeful than ever before about America’s future.

“For these Americans and so many others, change has not come fast enough. Some are frustrated; some are angry,” Obama said. “They are tired of the partisanship and the shouting and the pettiness. They know we can’t afford it.”

According to Obama, the Recovery Act has extended or increased unemployment benefits, allowed for needed tax cuts and kept millions of Americans employed. He added they are on track to add half a million jobs by the end of the year.

Obama criticized many in Washington for standing in the way of financial reform, which he said he sees as one of the only ways for America to get ahead.

“I do not accept second place for the United States of America. As hard as it may be, as uncomfortable and contentious as the debates may become, it’s time to get serious about fixing the problems that are hampering our growth,” Obama said.

Obama encouraged the Senate to pass a comprehensive climate and energy bill because he said he believes providing incentives for energy efficiency and clean energy will help America to lead the global economy.

In his address, the president also spoke about education reform and encouraged Congress to renew the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which would give families a $10,000 tax credit for four years of college and increase Pell Grants.

He also pledged that another one million students would only have to pay 10 percent of their income on student loans, and their debt would be forgiven after 20 years if they choose a career in public service.

“In the United States of America, no one should go broke because they chose to go to college. And it’s time for colleges and universities to get serious about cutting their own costs — because they too have a responsibility to help solve this problem,” Obama said.

Another focus of Obama’s speech was health care reform, and he urged legislators to take another look at his health care proposal. He added his plan would reduce the deficit by $1 trillion over the next two decades.

“By the time I’m finished speaking tonight, more Americans will have lost their health insurance. Millions will lose it this year,” Obama said. “I will not walk away from these Americans, and neither should the people in this chamber.”

University of Wisconsin Political Science professor Barry Burden said he expects Obama’s approval ratings to increase in the days after the address, although it will not be significantly higher for a long period of time.

“Even though the economy has picked up a little, unemployment lags behind recessions. Some state’s unemployment rates are at unreasonable rates. I think folks are upset with it,” Burden said.