Attack on bike path

Officials are highlighting the necessity of maintaining vigilance when traveling alone after one woman was robbed at gunpoint and another woman was battered on local bike paths this weekend.

Representatives from both the University of Wisconsin and the Madison Police Department have advised students and area residents to use common sense and keep safety in mind at all times.

Saturday evening a 20-year-old UW student was walking on the bike path in the 100 block of North Mills Street when she was approached by a man wielding a long-barreled black handgun, a police report said.

The suspect was able to make off with the woman’s purse before heading west on the bike path.

The suspect is described as an Asian male, 20 to 25 years of age, 5’6″ and 150 pounds.

The police report goes on to describe the man as having a medium build, dark eyes and heavy, dark eyebrows. He was last seen wearing a dark, hooded sweatshirt, dark pants and a black knit mask covering his face.

“I think what was fairly distinct about this one was the early hour,” UW spokesperson John Lucas said.

Lucas added that all students and residents are at risk and that informing oneself as to the services available and using common sense is vital to ensuring one’s safety.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said the woman had been listening to music at the time of the incident, a practice he said is common, but not in the best interest of personal safety when alone.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, expressed similar sentiments regarding safety on campus.

“It’s an opportunity to talk about best practices with regards to safety,” Eagon said. “It’s unfortunate that the discussion about safety is so often a reaction to an event though.”

A second incident took place Sunday when a 21-year-old Madison woman stopped to stretch during a morning run.

She had stopped by an overpass near Edgewood Avenue when the suspect tackled her. The suspect attempted to hold her to the ground before she fought back and was able to get away, a police report said.

“We haven’t seen any specific targeting of students or downtown residents. Having said that, individuals should still remain alert,” DeSpain said.

According to the report, the suspect said nothing to the victim but at one point did “flash his teeth and hiss” while attempting to restrain the victim.

The suspect is described as a white male, 20 to 29 years of age with a slender build, clean-shaven and spiky brown hair. He was last seen wearing a gray t-shirt, black jogging pants and black running shoes.

“By all appearances, the suspect seems to have been a runner also. We’re not sure exactly what the motivation was,” DeSpain said.

DeSpain advised students and area residents to take care not to walk alone, stay in well-lit areas and remain alert with respect to one’s surroundings.

-Carolyn Briggs contributed to this article