Regents approve plans for UW-Milwaukee

BOR_LK
UW-Milwaukee Chancellor Carlos Santiago presents his plans for advancing his university\’s research capabilities to the Board of Regents, who voted in favor.[/media-credit]

The University of Wisconsin Board of Regents approved three UW-Milwaukee research and development projects for funding during a special session called by the UW System regents Jan. 8.

Carlos Santiago, chancellor at UW-Milwaukee, presented plans at the meeting to purchase and redevelop Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital in Milwaukee to advance the university toward becoming a premiere research university.

“The reality is that [UW-Milwaukee] is not at the point where it can be perceived as a premiere research university,” Santiago said. “…I do not believe this institution can achieve its mission from 90 acres on the east side of Milwaukee.”

Without expanding beyond what he deemed “traditional boundaries” in Milwaukee, Santiago claimed UW-Milwaukee would not become a premiere research university. He added that acquiring Columbia St. Mary’s for campus use is essential.

Columbia St. Mary’s was originally envisioned for student housing, but these plans changed with the recent addition of two new student housing buildings on campus.

Though the actual use for the Columbia St. Mary’s space is yet to be determined, Santiago said it should be a hub for student affairs, adding the campus needs more green spaces. He also recognized the potential of the hospital’s already established parking facilities.

“In effect, it is an important component of the overall plan [of expanding campus],” Santiago said.

The estimated cost of the purchase and redevelopment of Columbia St. Mary’s is $31 million. $30 million will be funded through Program Revenue Supported Borrowing, money borrowed with the promise that Columbia St. Mary’s will generate enough revenue to pay back the loan. The UW-Milwaukee will generate this revenue is still undetermined, according to Board of Regent President Charles Pruit. The remaining costs will be funded by building trust funds.

Santiago also presented a plan to construct a new research boat to replace the Neeskay, a converted 1953 Navy Korean War vessel that was never designed for modern research.

Replacing the Neeskay would cost approximately $20 million, primarily coming from gifts and grants, according to the records.

The third project presented was the Kenwood Integrated Research Center, which Santiago says will be used for interdisciplinary research.

“We want to do a building where biologists, chemists and physicists and other scientists can come together around thematic areas. That’s what’s really going to draw these multi-disciplinary research enterprises,” Santiago said.

At the last UW System Board of Regents meeting in December, regents approved the UW-Milwaukee proposal for a school of freshwater science and school of public health. These two schools, Santiago said, add not only to UW-Milwaukee as a research university, but to the city of Milwaukee as a whole.

The UW System Board of Regents called the special session to approve funding for the projects in time for them to be reviewed by the State Building Commission on Jan. 20, said Tom Anderes, UW senior vice president for administrative and fiscal affairs.

After the projects pass the State Building Commission, they will be made into legislation and must be passed by both the state Senate and Assembly this spring, Anderes said.