UW alum named Marshall Scholar

A University of Wisconsin alumna who graduated last spring was selected as one of 35 Marshall Scholars in the United States this year, making her the first person selected from UW in 10 years.?

Triple majoring in physics, math and French, Erin Conrad received her undergraduate degree this past spring, earning a 3.99 GPA.

“Like all scholars, [Conrad] stands out in the applicant pool because of her stunning intellectual curiosity and her abilities to make connections and draw insights,” said Julie Stubbs, student services coordinator of the Undergraduate Academic Awards Office.?

Conrad was engaged in a large range of research at UW, from clinical to biotechnical projects. She has also done a lot of volunteering with institutions such as St. Mary’s Hospital, UW Physics Learning Center and the Tenant Resource Center as a housing counselor.

Established in 1953, the scholarship finances American students to study for a degree in the United Kingdom at a university of their choice, Stubbs said.?

“Marshall Scholars are independent and wide-ranging, and are those who have the potential to make a significant, positive influence on the future society,” Stubbs said.?

In an e-mail to The Badger Herald, Jonathan Daniel of the British Consulate, said Conrad already has an impressive background in science and medicine with a near-perfect academic record?during her undergraduate career at UW.??

He added she is currently conducting medical research at the University of Michigan.

“As one of 35 Marshall Scholars from across the U.S., Erin will build on her success at University College London next fall while pursuing a master’s in philosophy, politics and economics of health,” Daniel said.?

Nominating professor of mathematics Robert Wilson said Conrad is an excellent student, who excels in pulling things from different areas together and making use of them in one area.

“They look for people who are smart and people of breadth, and obviously there are many applicants who are like that,” Wilson said. “But what makes [Conrad] stand out in the applicant pool is that she is a person who can use information well and draw insights that other people cannot draw.”

Conrad said she plans to return to the University of Michigan after her time abroad to pursue a medical degree and become a medical ethicist.

“I am very excited. I feel really lucky, and I am honored to have gotten the scholarship and have the opportunity to study abroad, which is something that I have always wanted to do,” Conrad said.

Conrad added that she picked UCL as her first choice because the programs there are perfect for what she wants to do — become a medical ethicist.

“After studying at UCL, I plan to start medical school at the University of Michigan. I might be a professor in the medical school and spend some time doing clinical research,” she said.?