New H1N1 vaccination clinics open

Madison and the University of Wisconsin are continuing their push to vaccinate students and a targeted group of community members against the swine flu by offering new H1N1 vaccine clinics in the next few weeks.

Public Health-Madison and Dane County will be offering H1N1 clinics at six locations in Madison during the first three weeks of December. The clinics will be held at East Madison, Stoughton and Middleton Wednesdays from 2 to 6 p.m., and in Sun Prairie, Verona and South Madison Thursdays from 3 to 7 p.m.

The vaccines will be given to pregnant women, people who live with or care for infants less than six months old, all people six months to 24 years old and people 25-64 years old who have underlying health conditions.

“We have enough vaccines to cover all of the clinics at this point,” said Jeff Golden, spokesperson for PH-MDC.

Golden said appointments are required for the vaccines and when the number of appointments reaches the capacity of available vaccines, PH-MDC will not accept more.

Vaccines left over from the clinics held Nov. 17 and 18 will also be distributed at the clinics.

Students living on campus or without access to the clinics will be able to receive H1N1 shots at the Southeast Recreational Facility on Dayton Street. The clinic — offering 4,000 doses — will be held Dec. 4 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“We are anxious to vaccinate as many students as possible through the clinic that is being held,” said Sarah Van Orman, executive director of University Health Services.

Students do not need to make an appointment for the vaccine, and only need a valid student ID. Students are eligible for a free H1N1 shot if they are 24 years of age or younger and are enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate or professional program as a degree-seeking or special student.

Orman said she is especially concerned a spike will be seen in the number of H1N1 cases after students return from winter break.

“We encourage all students to take the time on Friday to get vaccinated,” Orman said.

The vaccine will also be available on a walk-in basis through UHS during the month of December.