Football player arrested on suspicion of OWI

University of Wisconsin football team wide receiver Maurice Moore was arrested Sunday morning on suspicion of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.

According to a Madison Police Department incident report, Moore, 22, a UW senior, was involved in a single vehicle crash on the 1300 block of Regent Street at 12:41 Sunday morning.

Moore was taken to the hospital for minor injuries and was cited on the OWI charge, according to the report.

Lt. David McCaw of MPD said a more detailed report on the incident has not yet been prepared by the department and more details will most likely be available tomorrow.

Justin Doherty, a UW athletics spokesperson, said he believed coach Bret Bielema will comment on the incident tomorrow at his regular Monday press conference.

It is unclear at this point how the arrest will influence his status as a player.

Moore, a native of Fort Worth, Texas, joined the UW football team in 2006 after graduating from Everman Joe C. Bean High School as a PrepStar All-American honoree. He sat out his first season as a redshirt and is a two-year letter winner.

Moore has played in all nine games this season for the Wisconsin offense, in addition to playing a role on all four special teams units. He has caught three passes for 45 yards, returned four kicks for 69 yards and made one tackle on special teams for the Badgers.

Moore is behind junior Isaac Anderson on the depth chart for one of two starting wide receiver positions.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said one advantage of campus being on an isthmus is that it deters students from bringing their cars — a natural deterrent to drunken driving. Students who do have their cars, he added, should be aware of their options.

“It’s important for students who are driving to know there are plenty of alternatives for them to use, such as cabs (and) SAFEride,” Eagon said. “There are safe alternatives for driving drunk, especially with how close everything is here on campus and downtown.”

Eagon added treatment options are available for issues related to drunken driving through the University Health Services.