Students hear new design plans for Edgewater Hotel

Edgewater_LK
Community members address Hammes\’ new proposal for the Edgewater.[/media-credit]
http://http://vimeo.com/7464665

UW hosts discussion for Edgewater Hotel

Hammes Company held an informational meeting at the Pyle Center Thursday night where students were presented with the revised proposal of the Edgewater Hotel.

Bob Dunn, president of Hammes, addressed revisions made to the new design mostly in response to previous concerns and suggestions of the Madison community, explaining his solutions to citizens’ issues with zoning and building height.

Ald. Bryon Eagon, District 8, said the meeting was a good opportunity for students to see not only the updates on the Edgewater Hotel design, but also to see how these projects go through the city process.

“I think having it on campus speaks to the impact that this project’s going to have to the student community and the city as a whole,” Eagon said. “If it didn’t impact students, they wouldn’t have thought about coming to campus to hold a meeting like this.”

The addition of at least 400 new jobs, Dunn said, would positively impact the student population in the downtown area. He also estimated the actual construction would produce more than 800 jobs opportunities.

Freshman Steven Piccione agreed that more jobs for students outweigh any alleged zoning issues.

Lindsay Zadra, a UW sophomore, said she would apply for a job at the new hotel, especially during the summer months.

“If I stay here in the summer, which a lot of the students do, that’d be a fun place to work on the pier or in one of the cafes or restaurants,” Zadra said. “It’d be really accessible, and it’d be fun.”

Zadra said that besides jobs, the hotel would give students new outlets in the city. A member of Delta Gamma, Zadra said the Greek community would be able to utilize the hotel for banquets and charity events.

Madison lacks a competent hotel, Dunn said, and needs a sufficient hotel that serves both UW alumni and tourists to the downtown area.

“There is not a hotel that is distinctive and plays up the unique character of Madison. It doesn’t exist,” Dunn said. “We should be able to do a dominant leisure travel business in Madison and one of the things that precludes that from happening is we do not have a destination caliber hotel in this city.”

Sophomore Otto Kirst said the new plans were a big improvement from the current design of the Edgewater Hotel.

“I grew up in Madison. I always remember going by there and it really doesn’t look nice at all; it never did,” Kirst said. “I think [the new design] is really nice. The view of the Capitol looked amazing.”

Zadra said although local politicians may still be opposed to certain aspects of the plan, she believes students have a general positive attitude toward the renovation of the Edgewater Hotel.

“I’ve actually gotten complete positive feedback,” Zadra said. “At least from a student’s perspective, it’s another place you get to go. It’s another thing to do.”

Hammes will continue to hold information meetings in order to get more input, discussion and debate from the public. Over a period of months, the plans will be before the Urban Design Commission and eventually end up before the City Council.