SSFC approves funding for PAVE

During a late-night meeting of the Student Services Finance Committee, strict cuts were made to student organization budgets, but only the Promoting Awareness Victim Empowerment budget decision was decided as the final decisions for the MultiCultural Student Coalition and Supporting Peers in Laidback Listening were postponed.

In a quick decision, the board approved $80,967.55 in funding for PAVE by a vote of of 6-0-2, which was close to the $81,255 requested.

“There is really no extraneous expense in the budget. It’s pretty clean, cut and dry. It is exactly what they need — and nothing more — to put together most of their programs,” Secretary Matthew Manes said.

However, debate for MCSC occupied the majority of the meeting, a budget which Secretary Matt Manes called “very sticky.”

During the hours of debate over MCSC funding, over a dozen cuts were made in their budget for equipment rentals, airfare, hotels, food for numerous events, human resources staff and other large events.

“We feel that the direct services we provide, all are programs that extend from the student perspective into the community,” said Andreall Moore, who works on the program finance committee. “[Our events] give students the chance to go out into the community, learn about the community, interact and heighten their Wisconsin experience. We hope you fully fund these events.”

Several events were cut, including the Youth Change Conference, which is directed at helping youth in the Madison Community. Rep. Carl Fergus said the event was directed at the youth in the Madison community and not at UW students, thus not falling under a direct service.

Although various programs were cut, it was explained the organization could apply for grants from the Associated Students of Madison Finance Committee for events that were denied funding, such as the “Spicing Up The Campus Cultural Parade,” which was cut because it also was not considered a direct service.

The decision for MCSC was not finished by the end of the meeting and was ultimately postponed — along with the decision for SPILL — until the next SSFC meeting on Monday.

The budget hearings for the Working Class Student Union and Wisconsin Student Lobby were also discussed.

WSL received funding last year for $66,596 and asked for significantly less this year due to a drop in funds in the programs budget and rolling other program costs together, according to WSL President Patrick McEwen, a Badger Herald opinion writer.

WCLU currently has a budget of $63,275.50 in their first year receiving SSFC funds. In their hearing, they requested $58,138.20 — significantly less than their current budget.

The organization aims to empower working-class students and give them the opportunity to converse and unite in a safe space while educating the public on the working-class culture.

President of WCSU Chynna Haas said prejudice on campus against working-class students has become more pronounced in recent years and financial aid is often little help to these students.

“Our goal is to develop a more positive relationship with financial aid,” Haas said.

The organization has many services on campus, which include career readiness assistance, support services and peer advocacy programs.

“These services focus on educating the UW campus on class issues, as well as celebrating diversity,” said George McLaughlin, finance director for WCSU.