GOP candidate calls for debate

Republican gubernatorial candidate Mark Neumann challenged fellow Republican candidate and current Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker Tuesday to participate in several town hall-style meetings statewide over the next year.

In a letter to Walker, Neumann, a former congressman, proposed the pair host at least two meetings per month between now and the primary election in September to engage each other and voters in policy discussions.

“We are finding as we travel the state a large number of people don’t know us and those who do know us do not know the difference between us,” Neumann said. “What I am proposing is a friendly setting where we can discuss the state and its direction.”

Neumann said a lot of people are angry with the actions of the state and also said it is important to reach an agreement with Walker soon as Neumann is anxiously waiting to get together and figure out a schedule.

Neumann added there are plans for his campaign to appear on campuses around the state.

“I certainly welcome working with folks on campuses and will be very receptive to their ideas,” Neumann said.

In an e-mail to The Badger Herald, Keith Gilkes, campaign manager for Walker, said Walker and Neumann have already made appearances together.

“They appeared together at an event in Waukesha [Monday night] and will appear next week on a panel together for a local Milwaukee area association event,” Gilkes said. “Additionally, both Scott and Mark have already done joint media appearances and will appear together on the Mike Gousha Show this weekend.”

Gilkes added the Walker campaign will work with Neumann to finalize plans as the 2010 election draws closer.

University of Wisconsin political science professor Charles Franklin said the move by Neumann will benefit his campaign by making him more visible and active.

“Well, it’s probably good for Neumann because I think most people see him as trailing Walker,” Franklin said. “Usually the candidate who is trailing asks for town halls, not the frontrunner.”

Franklin added he is sure there will be debates and town halls between the pair and Neumann’s proposal is really a test of whether Walker is willing to engage Neumann in a long-term sense or closer to election.