Verveer looks for more oversight of Downtown safety initiative

Cops_FILEPHOTO_JS
Alder\’s new amendment proposal hopes to increase oversight of police officers in downtown area.[/media-credit]

A city alder is proposing two amendments to the 2010 executive operating budget that would allow for greater City Council oversight of the Downtown Safety Initiative and a civilian alcohol-license compliance program.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, is proposing an amendment that would require Public Safety Review Committee and City Council approval of a specific DSI plan before funding the program.

The budget allocates $80,000 for the DSI with an additional $20,000 coming from private contributions. According to Joel Plant, assistant to Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, these private contributors will likely include businesses that benefit from the DSI.

Verveer’s amendment is in part a response to his concerns with the DSI, which he says spends excessive resources on bar inspections and carding minors. The program, which allows for increased patrol during high-traffic events such as game days and weekend nights, was originally intended to combat more serious, violent crimes, such as muggings and sexual assault, Verveer said.

“The DSI officers, who are all about high visibility and proactive law enforcement, should be out on the street, not in bars looking for 20-year-olds drinking beer,” Verveer said.

Plant said while underage alcohol enforcement is not the main purpose of the DSI, it should still be a high priority among officers.

“I think that the assumption that underage drinking has no correlation to significant crime is a false premise,” Plant said. “We know that the people who are victimized and who do the victimization are often … underage and very intoxicated.”

Verveer doubts the program will receive private funding as long as DSI officers continue current practices. Therefore, a specific plan detailing the expectations of the officers is needed, according to Verveer. By requiring a plan, Verveer said his amendment will help leverage private contributions for DSI.

In an additional amendment, Verveer proposes requiring Alcohol License Review Committee and council approval of a “detailed project plan” for the budget’s proposed civilian alcohol-license compliance inspectors. The budget sets aside $10,000 for the program, anticipating an additional $10,000 from private funding.

Under the program, civilian inspectors would carry out inspections of alcohol-licensed establishments currently performed by police officers. According to Plant, the program help ensure a “more effective and efficient” alcohol compliance checking process.

Verveer argues the program, though not a “high priority,” deserves consideration by the ALRC and council to clarify unanswered questions.

“Rather than totally pulling the plug on the idea, my amendment proposes that before we spend one penny, before we hire one new inspector, the idea is fully vetted by policymakers,” Verveer said. “In the budgeting process, there is just not enough time to deal with these specific questions and issues.”

While Verveer does not want to end the program altogether, Ald. Satya Rhodes-Conway, District 12, is proposing an amendment that would remove all funding for civilian alcohol inspectors.

During the tight budgeting year, Rhodes-Conway says it is not the right time to fund the new project, especially considering the budget’s cutbacks on other existing programs.

Rhodes-Conway voiced additional concerns with potential sources of private funding for the program, including the alcohol industry.

The amendments will be considered at the Board of Estimates meeting today.