County budget cuts cause clamor

Budget_RM
Dane County Board officials field questions and concerns about the current budget cuts proposed.[/media-credit]

Members of the public voiced their opinion regarding the Dane County budget Thursday, with a great number disagreeing about cuts in the Human Service Department and the proposal to have the county’s employees and elected officials take a 3 percent wage cut.

In a budget that Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk has deemed one of “shared sacrifice,” the current budget proposal includes a 3 percent wage cut for 2010 to alleviate some of the effects of the budget crisis.

This comes after county employees accepted a 5 percent wage cut for the remainder of 2009. Many employees and members of the public expressed their disapproval of this idea, with the focus of many arguments saying it is unfair to solve the budget problem by asking the employees to sacrifice — especially Sheriff’s deputies.

“You forced our families to prioritize because you couldn’t,” Dane County Deputy Sheriff’s Association President Jim Brigham said, addressing the Dane County Board of Supervisors. “Now it’s your turn. We already took a pay cut.”

Brigham suggested an exemption of the wage cut for all 24-hour services, such as the Dane County deputies. According to Brigham, the board could find a 1 percent reduction in the overall budget and the cuts would not be necessary.

He also said the economy did not cause the budget crisis, but rather poor financial managing.

“I think this body has a habit of spending too much,” Brigham said. “We need to dig deep and find a way to make it work.”

Joshua Wescott, spokesperson for Kathleen Falk, said Falk’s office is currently in the process of bargaining with Dane County unions, and they are progressing well at this point.

“I’m confident we can reach an agreement,” Wescott said.

The proposed cut of nearly 3 percent to the Dane County Department of Human Services attracted much commentary from the public, with the vast majority of public members disapproving of the cuts.

Many people lauded the importance of the services provided by the department and also pointed to the results of such a cut in funding — longer wait times for services, decreased staff and the ability to help fewer people, among others.

The majority of the members of the public were receptive of the idea of raising the taxes for Dane County, as long as the certain basic services were retained.

William Greer, president and CEO of Dane County Mental Health Center, said one of the reasons for restoring these cuts would be on a humanitarian basis.

“By restoring the cuts, you will ease the suffering of hundreds of people in Dane County,” Greer said.

Greer also said it is cost-effective to treat people with mental health issues and substance abuse problems in the community. Other members of the public supported this point, saying untreated people can end up in jail.

Greer urged the board to pass a resolution to add back the cuts. Adding the cuts, Greer said, would be an opportunity for the board to underscore the tradition in Dane County of “putting people first.”