Peace Park plans move forward; added amenities

After many revisions to the proposed design for Lisa Link Peace Park, the Board of Public Works approved the plans after the project manager presented the latest version Wednesday.

“The goal of the design is to try and maximize the space in terms of flexibility,” said Mike Sturm, project manager. He elaborated on more details for the park as well, which include philosopher stones, chess tables and a bike rack placement on West Gilman Street.

Local community organizations have voiced their opinions regarding the site design and, most recently, the Greater State Street Business Association released a letter advocating its support of the plan.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he believes the current layout is the best one thus far. While absent from the meeting due to illness, Verveer wrote a letter addressing his opinion on the design.

“I like the current design and everything about it,” Verveer said in the letter. “Much on-site time was spent by Downtown Madison, Inc. to observe uses being made by the park. DMI also had dialogue with the park’s users, so much of the design was driven by this dialogue.”

The Business Improvement District will provide the center with its ambassadors program year-round at no extra expense to city taxpayers, according to Mary Carbine, BID executive director.

A surcharge free ATM will be installed that could generate several thousands of dollars in city revenue, Carbine said.

The ATM aspect of the plans have proven controversial in previous committee meetings, as many current park users — namely a portion of the city’s homeless population — would be prevented from using the park due to a city ordinance that prohibits panhandling near ATMs.

The Visitor’s Center will be 940 square feet, with a service window that faces State Street.

“We feel the Peace Park design is a very positive addition to an area that is currently under-utilized and has some safety concerns,” Carbine said.

The park designs are scheduled to go before the State Street Oversight Committee today.