Rep. Nass submits proposal for Wood’s expulsion

A state legislator is moving forward with a proposal to dismiss an independent legislator for his arrest on suspicion of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.

Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, formally introduced a measure of expulsion to the Assembly Wednesday after giving Rep. Jeffrey Wood, I-Chippewa Falls, a chance to resign on his own volition.

Wood was pulled over by a Wisconsin state trooper Sept. 23 at approximately 6:30 p.m. because of a tip saying he was driving erratically. After failing a field sobriety test, Wood was taken to a hospital where he admitted to taking excess amounts Lorazepam and nighttime cold medicine.

This is Wood’s fourth arrest for suspicion of OWI.

Mikalsen said state statute gives Assembly Speaker Mike Sheridan, D-Janesville, 10 days to create a special committee on ethics and standards, which is made up of three Democrats and three Republicans, to take up the matter. This committee will hold public hearings and eventually make recommendations to the Assembly on the matter.

“The Assembly has the ability to set ethics standards for its members,” Mikalsen said. “It is up to the speaker on how to play with the process.”

According to Mikalsen, a resolution of expulsion has not occurred for almost a century because the few legislators who have “crossed the line” of ethics have resigned on their own.

This legislation, Mikalsen said, requires a two-thirds vote by the Assembly. He added Nass did not ask for co-sponsorship because he thought that would be inappropriate.

Mikalsen added Wood has the opportunity to defend himself in front of the special committee if he so chooses.

Sheridan spokesperson Becky Sweeney said the speaker is working with the Legislative Council on the best course of action.

“The rule under which we form a committee was implemented in 1989, and it’s never been used before,” Sweeney said. “[Sheridan] is conferring with the council on how quickly they can act.”

Wood’s office said the representative is in an inpatient rehabilitation center in Minneapolis and focusing on recovery.