Bucky Wagon to see ‘green’ overhaul

Wagon_LK
Cheerleaders and Bucky Badger will now have the opportunity to travel farther to spread school spirit.[/media-credit]

The University of Wisconsin’s own “eco-style” pimp my ride has struck the University of Wisconsin as students in the College of Engineering begin a project that aims to turn the red Bucky Wagon into an energy-efficient machine.

The Bucky Wagon is a fire engine that tours the UW campus on football game days, transporting cheerleaders and Bucky Badger to Camp Randall as the engine’s horn plays “On, Wisconsin!” It is the third in a line of wagons that first debuted on campus in the 1950s, according to Jeff Wendorf, vice president of programs and outreach at the Wisconsin Alumni Association.

The project — currently underway in senior engineering design classes — will convert the iconic Bucky Wagon into a safer, more environmentally friendly vehicle by replacing the current engine with an electric one and swapping old parts for new ones, according to Wendorf.

“We’re going to kind of pump it up a little bit, make it look a little more sporty, but we kind of want to be true to its original design so it continues to look like the 1932 La France fire engine that it is,” Wendorf said.

The current Bucky Wagon is unsafe and not fuel efficient, and some parts are no longer available to make necessary repairs, Wendorf said, adding the updated Bucky Wagon will travel to surrounding communities to spread UW spirit throughout Dane County and showcase students’ innovation.

Glenn Bower, a mechanical engineering faculty associate, said the students in one of his upper-level mechanical engineering classes have already begun working on small projects for the wagon. Students from UW’s vehicle project teams — a program in the College of Engineering that builds six different types of vehicles — will also take part in the renovation.

The wagon will receive a full internal and external makeover, featuring hydraulic brakes, an electric engine, power steering, a new sound system, reupholstered seating, an updated dashboard and sleek tire rims, Bower said. After the transformation is complete, Bower said the Bucky Wagon will be more user-friendly and will run for 25 to 30 miles before requiring a recharge.

According to Wendorf, the project melds environmental, athletic and innovative elements into one complete project that is in sync with UW’s tradition of ingenuity and burgeoning environmental friendliness.

“It sends a message to the community that, number one, the university is making efforts to go green, to make an example of how we can do things in a more sustainable way,” Wendorf said. “I also think there’s that message of maintaining tradition — the great tradition that we have here at the university of protecting the environment and being advocates for the environment.”

The Bucky Wagon in its current state will be on display at the Homecoming parade Friday, and the Badger Bash Saturday, with the revamped Bucky Wagon to be unveiled during next year’s Homecoming festivities, according to Bower.

UW’s vehicle teams have built about 60 vehicles over the past 20 years, and Bower said he thinks the Bucky Wagon overhaul is consistent with UW’s futuristic thinking.

“Because it’s an icon, we don’t want to lose it as a university. And I think converting it to electric is acknowledging that times are changing and the university will change with the times,” Bower said.