SSFC hears GUTS, SOL

SSFC_JS
GUTS Director Amanda Saran presents to SSFC members Monday evening.[/media-credit]
Greater University Tutoring Service and Sex Out Loud presented their budgets to the Student Services Finance Committee Monday night.

For the 2009-10 year, GUTS was approved for $143,343.24. However, as they are seeking expansion in the coming year, GUTS is requesting an additional $18,787.47 on top of the old budget for 2010-11.

Amanda Saran, director of GUTS, explained the organization supports around 1,000 students each semester through tutoring services located throughout campus. Recently, GUTS has increased the Internet resources it offers students.

“We think of the website as a main outreach tool,” Saran said. “The online blog has become very popular.”

New components of the budget will go toward hiring a webmaster, purchasing digital and video cameras, and improvements in advertising. Extensions of the tutors’ office hours are also pending in the new budget proposal.

Ashley Chase, project and budget coordinator of Sex Out Loud, spoke on behalf of the student-run sexual health organization. The approved budget for the 2009-10 year is $90,710.18, and the budget requested for 2010-11 is $92,904.84.

The additional $2,200 is to fund an increase in safe sex supplies as well as increase the amount of time staff spends in the office

Services sponsored by the organization include sex-positive education, National Condom Week in February and Sexual Health Week in April. The budget decisions for both organizations will be voted on at the next SSFC meeting Oct. 15.

The committee also acknowledged the resignation of SSFC Rep. Katy Ziebell. The decision was based on her need to “spend more time on academics and work commitments,” according to her letter of resignation.

In addition, Rep. Carl Fergus, after meeting with the Associated Students of Madison Student Council, submitted a change to the standing rules regarding SSFC member accountability. In the event of the misbehavior of a committee member, speaking rights could be revoked from him or her by a 1/3 vote under the proposal.

The ASM Student Council, unlike the SSFC, has the ability to impeach its members.

The new proposal was intended as a safeguard against uncooperative members.

“[These rules] would let us be able to regulate within our own body,” Fergus said. “[The motion] enacts bylaws that have been entitled in Student Council.”

SSFC Vice Chair Michael Romenesko agreed with Fergus, saying the motion protects the committee from further damage in the time period before a council can meet on the offense.

SSFC Chair Brandon Williams said the accountability measure would be beneficial in the future, especially if a committee member makes a statement that violates viewpoint neutrality.

“If a committee member makes a viewpoint statement, this rule will help prevent favoritism,” Williams said.

The motion was passed to approve the change in the standing rules by an 8-0-0 vote, putting it into effect.