UW hosts forum for entrepreneurs

Entrepreneur_RM
Former UW students talk about rise to success through entrepreneurship.[/media-credit]

The first event of the Sports Entrepreneurship Series kicked off Wednesday at the Kohl Center in conjunction with the Office of Corporate Relations’ Wiscontrepreneur program.

The program was developed after University of Wisconsin was named one of only 19 “Kauffman Campuses” across the Unites States in 2007. The Ewing Marion Kauffmann Foundation gave out a five-year, $4 million grant to UW to “transform the way colleges and universities prepare students for success in the American economy,” according to a report from the Office of Corporate Relations.

Four students, all of whom claim UW as their alma mater, were on-site to talk about the success of their current entrepreneurial endeavors. All of these young Wiscontreprenuers are either former athletes of UW or involve athletics in their business in some way.

Kara Kabellis played soccer for UW and semi-professionally in Los Angeles. She founded her company, i.kabellis, with one of her teammates by creating a design that was put on an American Apparel shirt. With funding help from her teammate’s parents, her business was up and running, selling shirts online and at certain boutiques in Chicago.

Michael Garson, a junior in the Wisconsin School of Business, is a co-founder of Badger Trips LLC. Badger Trips provides students and alumni with a unique experience for away Badger games. They negotiate with hotels and bus companies to get group discounts and provide an afforable experience.

“Our goal is to make all away Badger games like a game at Camp Randall,” Garson said.

Travis Blomberg began developing the idea for his business in high school with some of his friends — since then, Stripes Officiating Agency has grown into a respected officiating outlet. SOA provides officials for tournaments in places such as Madison, Lacrosse and Eau Claire areas.

“SOA’s goal is to provide the community with educated, fit and reliable officials which provides for tournament needs,” Blomberg said.

Erin Byrd played for the UW volleyball team for four years, and continued to play professionally after graduation, even facing the likes of Misty May Treanor and Kerri Walsh. In 2007, she created her business, Mission Volleyball, in which she travels across the country, running camps to teach the basics and skills of beach volleyball.

After each student described their business, they fielded questions from the audience regarding aspects of their entrepreneurial endeavors. They discussed issues such as the economy, funding, research, development of ideas and obstacles they faced along the way. The issue of age was also addressed.

Garson said his age sometimes affects how a hotel or bus company deals with him when negotiating. Blomberg said he deals with similar issues with his business.

“Sometimes the age of the official causes people to look down on them during a game,” Blomberg said.

With the final statements of the press conference, the students encouraged aspiring entrepreneurs to be patient because making money takes time, and to take advantage of the time and the opportunities that college pro