MPD K-9 unit receives 5,000 bones for new dog

The Madison Police Department’s K-9 unit received a donation Wednesday that would make any dog’s tail wag.

Madison Police Department Chief Noble Wray, on behalf of the department’s K-9 unit, accepted $5,000 from Del Monte Pet Products and Milk-Bone as part of the Milk-Bone Canine Heroes Program at a ceremony Wednesday.

The donation is in partnership with Copps Food Centers.

The grant is given to police departments across the country to assist with the objective of training, supporting and maintaining a department’s K-9 unit, according to a statement from the MPD.

The funds gained through this grant are intended to go toward the continual maintenance of the K-9 unit, including training, supplies and veterinary expenses, said MPD Capt. Vic Wahl, head of the K-9 unit. He added the MPD also hopes to add and train an additional dog and officer to complement its current unit.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain described the value of the MPD’s K-9 unit as “immeasurable.”

“Anytime we are looking for suspects, the dogs can come in to do what a traditional officer cannot,” DeSpain said.

Wahl shared similar feelings as to the place and necessity of K-9 units in modern law enforcement, adding dogs are often times faster and more efficient in their searches, freeing up officers to carry out other duties without wasting time and resources in the process.

Wahl added the relationship between officer and dog is central to the effectiveness as a team, and both undergo extensive training in a wide variety of situations. Where the officer may not be able to carry out an effective search or apprehension, the dog is available to ensure the job is seen through with minimal harm done to suspects or officers.

The MPD currently has six dogs as part of its K-9 unit. The dogs are dually trained in narcotics searches and basic patrol work. Each officer-dog team possesses responsibilities ranging from tracking and apprehending suspects and searching for missing persons to finding illicit substances, according to Wahl.

Another important facet of the K-9 unit is its use in public relations. The MPD and Capital K-9’s, a voluntary citizen fundraising group for the K-9 unit, collaborate with the public, hosting numerous events with the intention of familiarizing the public with the K-9 unit and its role in the department.

“We really place an emphasis on public relations; the dogs are great ambassadors between the department and the community,” Wahl said. “Someone who would normally be unwilling to approach an officer may feel differently when they are accompanied by a dog.”

Capital K-9s, exists for the funding and support of the MPD’s K-9 unit. According to the unit’s website, all expenses, with the exception of officer salaries, are met with donations from the community. To date, over $155,000 has been given to the MPD’s K-9 unit through efforts of Capital K-9s.