World Dairy Expo to draw tens of thousands to Wisconsin

Dairy industrialists and agriculturalists will flock to the Alliant Energy Center this week for the annual World Dairy Expo, which will feature dairy leaders from around the world highlighting advancements and de-velopments in the dairy business.

The expo, starting today and running through Oct. 3., has been held annually in the first week of October since 1967, with this year marking its 43rd anniversary. The Expo is regarded as the largest and most important dairy cattle show in North America, according to World Dairy Expo’s marketing manager Lisa Behnke.

“Like any other convention or trade show [the expo] brings together people of the industry to exchange ideas and learn about the latest technology, equipment and procedures pertaining to the dairy industry,” Behnke said.

Not only does the expo bring together the local dairy industry, but top executives representing dairy companies from around the world are also in attendance during the five-day event.

According to Behnke, 755 companies from two dozen countries attended the World Dairy Expo in 2008 and along with those companies there were an estimated 70,000 people from roughly 90 different countries who attended the expo.

Not only is the expo favored toward dairy corporations and companies that are already well-established, but it is also a great opportunity for college students to open the door for themselves within the dairy industry as far as employment, according to Behnke.

“The expo is a great opportunity for any students at UW to rub shoulders with prominent dairy experts,” said Behn-ke.

Melvin Zenner, general chairman of the World Dairy Expo, said he also feels the convention is a great opportunity for students hoping to enter the dairy industry to meet elite professionals in the field and gain some perspective on the type of work they hope to embark on in the future.

“There are so many professional contacts at the World Dairy Expo and students have the opportunity to interact with so many different producers,” Zenner said. “It can give you a very well-rounded perspective of the dairy industry.”

Along with numerous contests and exhibits, there are also educational seminars for students and producers that include tips on dairy management and other agenda-setting industry issues.

The World Dairy Expo is an international event for dairy producers that can also be beneficial for students with aspirations toward one day exploring the field of dairy farming and producing.

“There are numerous dairy producers from all around the world that give students unique perspectives of the dairy industry and how different countries’ dairy industries operate in comparison to our own,” Zenner said.