UW colleges report highest statewide enrollment ever

While students seem to be cutting back on almost everything due to the current economic recession, the University of Wisconsin System’s two-year colleges are actually seeing an increase in enrollment for the fifth consecutive year.

According to a statement from the UW System, there are currently 13,807 students enrolled in UW System two-year colleges — the highest number on record.

“There has been a 4.6 percent increase over last year, [which] represents a 10 percent increase over two years, and every one of the 13 campuses has succeeded last year’s enrollment,” UW Colleges Chancellor David Wilson said.

As many people find themselves unemployed during this recession, they are turning to UW System colleges, hoping a new degree will put them back in the job market.

“It is no secret that in tough economic times people look at higher education,” Wilson said. “The increase in enrollment is a function of dislocated workers, GM plants closing, high unemployment and adults looking to retool themselves who understand the value of a UW degree.”

Not only have adults turned to the universities to receive a new degree, but UW two-year colleges are also seeing an increase in other non-traditional students as well. Wilson said people who originally came out of high school unsure of the merit of higher education are beginning to reconsider the value of a degree.

Due to the increased enrollment, UW two-year colleges will have extra revenue to spend for the first time and they plan to use the extra dollars to improve the quality of their schools.

“This is the first year we will see revenue. Those dollars will be used to [fill] holes, improve academic advising, strengthen the quality of student experiences,” Wilson said.

After a previous proposal from Wilson, the Board of Regents has frozen tuition for the past three years, making the universities affordable for students during these hard economic times.

“We don’t have many accouterments, so why were students paying the same amount as other universities?” Wilson said. “We do not intend to freeze for the fourth straight year; we are good right now in terms of affordability.”

According to the statement, UW two-year colleges currently offer the lowest tuition in the UW System, costing just $4,268 per year.

Although students at these two-year universities do not receive the typical freshmen and sophomore year experience, Wilson said they are realizing the benefits outweigh the costs.

“Students are willing to give up (the) football, marching band and residential hall experience if it means saving $15,000-$20,000,” Wilson said. “Students save up money to graduate without debt and have a comprehensible junior and senior year experience.”

Students are also turning to UW System schools for their quality staff, who — despite being the lowest paid in the UW System — continue to come back year after year, demonstrating a passion for teaching and love for the students, Wilson said.

“80 percent of our faculty have terminal degrees, they have a love for teaching that is unmatched — they get to know students personally and revel in their success,” Wilson said.

Executive Director of University Relations Teri Venker could not be reached for comment as of press time.