SSFC declines re-vote on CWC

SSFC_SG
SSFC members hear testimony from students concerning funding decisions Thursday at the SAC.[/media-credit]

Despite requests from around two dozen Campus Women’s Center supporters, the Student Services Finance Committee declined to revote on funding for the group in a meeting Thursday night.

CWC was originally denied funding Monday because SSFC believed 51 percent of their programs and resources did not constitute a direct service to the entire campus. To receive funding, the group has to have a majority of their direct services open to all University of Wisconsin students.

CWC submitted new numbers Thursday they say meet the requirements.

More than 20 students walked into the meeting and some gave speeches to show support for CWC. Several student organizations — including Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council and LGBT Allies — spoke to the group’s eligibility for funding.

The new numbers did not convince the committee to reverse its decision. SSFC Secretary Matthew Manes said the group has submitted several different numbers already and cannot keep changing their projections just to fit the requirements.

SSFC Chair Brandon Williams stressed the need for the committee to stay impartial in its decisions.

“Public pressure (im-pacting decisions) would be detrimental to the committee and to the campus. We must stay neutral in our decisions or we risk losing student control over financing,” Williams said.

For SSFC to revote on the issue, one of the committee members who originally voted to deny funding would have had to change their mind and call to reopen the discussion.

Despite pleas from supporters, none of the nay votes reconsidered their decision.

Also during the meeting, SSFC voted to delay its decision on funding two organizations — Vets for Vets and Student Tenant Resource Center — until Monday.

SSFC Vice Chair Michael Romenesko said there were legal issues and conflicts with another similar group, Student Tenant Union, that could affect STRC. STU already receives funding for similar services, which would normally make STRC ineligible, Williams said. However, STU is not reapplying for funding, creating a grey area SSFC needs to discuss further.

STRC, while technically a new group that has never received eligibility, had been funded years earlier under different formations.

Vets for Vets was delayed due to confusion about their direct service elements. The group had received funding until this year, as SSFC denied them eligibility in 2008.

Two new groups asking for funding at the meeting were WisChoices, an alcohol awareness group, and Adventure Learning Programs, an organization that provides experiential education through work-shops.

WisChoices provides peer-on-peer advising and discussions about alcohol education and awareness on campus.

“Most times it’s adults like parents and teachers who talk about alcohol issues,” WisChoices coordinator Stacy Lorenz said. “It brings a new perspective to the issue when you are talking with people your own age.”

ALPs provides workshops for groups to do ground and ropes courses free of charge with trained facilitators. These workshops are aimed at groups gaining “experiential education” in an environment that is “physically and emotionally stable,” according to their website.

“We are the only organization on campus for experiential education,” ALPs coordinator Jessica Erdman said.