Veterans see trouble in obtaining GI bill funds

Due to a backup of claims at the Department of Veterans Affairs, the University of Wisconsin System is finding ways to help student veterans with funding for tuition.

“If veterans qualify for full benefits of the GI bill, they will be granted 100 percent full in-state tuition,” UW Assistant Dean of Students John Bechtol said. “A full-time student will receive $1,239 per month for living expenses while attending school and up to $1,000 per year for books.”

Unfortunately, after students apply, they have to wait at least six weeks until they can even check on the status of their claim, according to Bechtol. He added in a letter from the VA, they said they have received 260,000 claims but have only processed 188,000.

“The problem for students receiving their payments boils down to the workload at the VA,” Bechtol said. “Because it is more generous and more veterans can qualify, they are receiving a tidal wave of claims.”

To address the issue, UW’s Registrar and Bursar’s Office is extending tuition deadlines and waiving late fees.

Madison Area Technical College Veterans Services Coordinator Michael Shumway said all UW schools are implementing these same procedures.

“UW schools including technical colleges are working together closely to get through this process. We had a systemwide committee meeting where we shared common procedures and techniques to assist students,” Shumway said.

Living expenses is where it begins to get problematic for students, according to Shumway.

“UW is assisting students in housing and book fees through short-term loans, encouraging students to apply for financial aid and walking them through that process,” Shumway said.

UW Office of the Registrar Assistant Registrar Michelle Kelley said she is working with the Bursar’s Office to give the financial aid directly to student veterans for housing.

“Some students have had eviction notices. We have worked with them in talking to landlords, saying the money will come in, but it’s taking longer than expected because of the enormous backlog at the VA,” Shumway said.

He added veterans are most likely able to receive their payments in October or November, though exact timing depends on the application date.