Anti-abortion groups rally downtown

ProLife_BB
Organizations including Pro-Life Wisconsin and Vigil for Life protest the surgery center\’s intent to begin second-term abortions.[/media-credit]

Anti-abortion protestors lined the sidewalks at the Madison Surgery Center Tuesday, demonstrating their discontent over the center’s plans to begin performing late-term abortions.

More than 80 protestors gathered around the surgery center, brandishing signs with anti-abortion messages and eliciting honks from passing motorists.

The rally was a joint effort by various anti-abortion groups and other advocacy groups, including Pro-Life Wisconsin, Vigil for Life and Wisconsin Family Council to oppose the surgery center’s intent to begin performing second-term abortions.

The abortions were approved by the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics’ Authority Board, Meriter Hospital, UW Hospital’s doctor groups and the Madison Surgery Center early this spring after the retirement of Planned Parenthood physician Dennis Christensen — previously the only person to offer the procedure in the Madison area.

University of Wisconsin alumna and Pro-Life Wisconsin spokesperson Virginia Zignego was impressed with the turnout, saying it was higher than she expected.

She said her reason for attending the rally was she did not think it was proper for UW to be involved with the procedures.

“I don’t think our publicly funded university should be involved in second trimester abortion or abortion in general,” Zignego said. “It’s a brutal procedure and it kills a child.”

Lisa Subeck, executive director of Pro-Choice Wisconsin, said abortion is legal and the surgery center is the perfect place for the procedures since it is an existing medical facility.

“The reality is the center should be applauded because it is stepping up and providing a critical health service for women,” Subeck said.

Steve Karlen, coordinator for Vigil for Life, also attended the rally, saying he wanted to send the message that Madison does not want late-term abortions to Meriter and the university.

Karlen added a small anti-abortion presence has been at the surgery center on a regular basis and bigger events such as the rally occur about every two months.

According to Karlen, anti-abortion rights groups rallied at Meriter Hospital in June and held a big gathering on Library Mall in January.

“We are going to be here until they scrap the plans to do late-term abortions,” Karlen said.

Another anti-abortion group’s leader was also present at the rally — Julaine Appling, the chief executive officer of Wisconsin Family Council. She said the reasoning behind the rally was to remind people of the issue and to apply pressure to the surgery center.

“Those of us that are pro-life have a responsibility to remind the surgery center and the UW affiliates and Meriter Hospital that what they are embarking on is a life-taking measure,” Appling said. “We think this is one of the things we can do to remind people in Madison and these organizations that we have not forgotten.”

Lisa Brunette, spokesperson for the UW Health, said in an e-mail to The Badger Herald the physicians who advocated for second-trimester abortion availability thought it would serve an important role in Madison.

“The physicians who brought the idea forward have done so because they wish to provide what they view as a needed service, an option that disappeared from the community when another physician retired last fall,” Brunette said.

The decision has yet to be made on when the procedures will begin.