Pub pleads to ALRC

State Street’s The Pub, after a newly refurnished structure, sought city approval for a 21-and-older entertainment license Wednesday, but the application was referred to the next city meeting Oct 21.

David Schwoegler, owner of The Pub, brought the application to the Alcohol License and Review Committee. He said he had plans to bring in disc jockeys and perhaps a band every so often, with the entertainment starting around 9 p.m. and ending at 1 a.m.

However, ALRC members were unsatisfied with the clarity of the logistics and details of the entertainment plan as it related to the bar’s security and operation. They referred Schwoegler’s applications plan to the next ALRC meeting to afford him time to craft a clearer picture of his bar’s proposed entertainment venue.

“I am concerned and other members are, that the plan isn’t quite right yet,” said Madison Police Department Capt. Carl Gloede, an ALRC member. “I would really look for, at the next meeting, that you bring other people involved with the establishment with you that can go into detail of the security plan and what your plans are for the live entertainment portion of this.”

One aspect of Schwoegler’s entertainment application raising apprehension among ALRC members concerned the listing of his employees.

According to Assistant City Attorney Steve Brist, Madison ordinance requires the names and dates of birth of employees for a liquor application. Brist said Schwoegler’s application was not clear as to the identity of The Pub’s employees, referring to confusion as to whether people listed on the application were currently employed at the bar.

“The application would be inadequate as it stands now,” Brist said.

Schwoegler said he was reluctant to pursue an entertainment license allowing 18-year-olds and older into the bar due to underage drinking concerns.

“I don’t think that would work very well,” Schwoegler said. “Somebody can just pass alcohol to someone real easy, even the bands, and I would have to be watching them all the time.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said The Pub has recently undergone “dramatic changes,” and “you wouldn’t recognize the place.”

Schwoegler said he decided to renovate the establishment to have different clientele frequent the bar.

“We wanted to change the image a bit,” Schwoegler said. “We fixed the bathrooms and floors. … We wanted to be presentable as a business.”

Gloede said he is encouraged by the improvements Schwoegler has made at the bar.

Verveer echoed Gloede, saying it is “absolutely fantastic you have renovated the place.”

Verveer added he wanted to clear the air regarding the referral, since it seems that he had “thrown cold water on the [license application].”

“I didn’t want to leave it that I came across as so negative, because I’m really excited that you have the potential to be a great new live music venue,” Verveer said, adding he hopes the ALRC can vote favorably on the entertainment license application next month.